Stupid question of the day!

I'm running a cable line and have to drill through some carpet. I don't want the bit to catch or snag the carpet, and maybe pull a thread so it ruins the entire rug. How does one drill through carpet? Cut it first?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam S.

Hi, How about using a Exacto knife kind. carefully cut a hole, don't drill. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not dumb at all. That is a really smart question!

Cutting first is the best option but hard to do for such a small hole.

If drilling from the top I would "part" the carpet to expose the backing, use a slow speed cordless. If you notice the fiber wrapping around the bit. STOP and regroup.

Your greatest risk is with a Berber or other continuous loop carpet.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Cut an X in the carpet and tape or hold back the carpet, then drill your hole. The carpet will just then fit around the cable. If you drill the carpet it will probally catch a tread and then ruin the carpet.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

i think cutting a slit in it would work.

ds549

Best solution is to use an old-work low-voltage plate, and put the outlet in the wall where it belongs. Fifteen bucks or so will buy the long drill bit, keyhole saw and needed hardware. Additional outlets even cheaper, since you already have the tools. Second best solution is to drill through the quarter round and the bottom of the baseboard. Most cable installs, especially the 'free' installations, are hack jobs, in my experience.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

You don't want to drill the pile, especially if it is Berber. Take fine scissors and gut pile out of the spot you are going to use. Just for added insurance, I would put a some glue on the spot and let it dry. Use a utility knife or xacto to cut out the hole. Why are you going through carpet?

Reply to
Norminn

"Norminn" wrote

You would have to see the set up of my place, to really understand it.

This is for my computer. The cable installer gave me three options, and I thought of another, but didn't want him to do it.

My computer room is in the front of my house, I live in a bi-level.

Option 1: Run cable around front door, hide the cable in a shadow line of the siding, and come through wall. You would still be able to see the cable, but I would probably be the only one who would notice it.

Option 2: Fish the cable through the wall, go into the attic, out a vent and down the side of the house.

Option 3: Run the cable into the laundry room (back of house), use a router and wireless something or other. I had the router, and he gave me the exterior card, or whatever they're called.

My brother which is computer savvy, called the guy a lazy SOB, because he says my cable should be hooked directly to the computer, then the router etc. He named off numerous reasons including security, I'm only getting about half the speed I should (although I'm thrilled with it compared to dial up), and some other reasons I can't remember.

Anyways, the cable can be run through the unfinished ceiling in the laundry room, into the garage which has a finished ceiling along with HVAC ducts, along the ceiling corner where garage door wires are run, and up through to the computer room. Only about 10 ft of cable wire will be seen in the garage. BTW, I won't be putting any holes into the duct work.

Reply to
Sam S.

You may want to verify the above. I really think your cable should go to your cable modem and then to your router for maximum security. From your router it should go to each computer. Otherwise everything on your computer is an open network to anyone who knows how to hack.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"Colbyt" wrote

LOL, yeah, what you said!

Right now, there's no cable running to my main computer. There lies the security issue, I guess.

Reply to
Sam S.

Sam,

The cable must connect to the cable modem and then goes to the router. The CAT5 plugs into the router, but better yet, in your case you need to go wireless. Get a Wireless-G router which has the speed you want. The normal range is about 200-300 feet. Someone with experience can help you set up the necessary security. As for the speed issue, the cable company controls the speed depending on what you pay for. There are several levels of speed available and they are controlled by the MAC address of your cable modem. I really believe that once you go wireless you will be glad you did. The router normally has four hard wired ports that you can plug into and you can have almost unlimited wireless. The wireless at the computer end can be USB, an internal card, a plug-in card for a laptop and maybe a couple more.

Joey

Sam S. wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Heat up a large nail w/propane torch and melt a spot where you want to drill before drilling

Reply to
fsteddie

Why not bury the cable and bring it through the wall nearest where it will be used, or am I missing something?

Reply to
Norminn

Use a carpet drill!

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I prefer melting a small hole through the carpet. Heat up an awl or other object with a propane torch or even the kitchen stove. All the yarn ends will be melted and sealed with no chance to unravel.

DanG

How about Hot Gluing the area?

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

Get DSL instead.

Reply to
Toller

So you can get pissed off at the phone company instead of the cable company. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

For most residential applications a "locked down and encrypted" wireless router is acceptable. Your reduced bandwidth may be caused by an older wireless router.

The suggestion to call your cable company and ask what you can expect is a good one. For what it is worth around here they require a splitter at the point of entry with one side of the splitter serving the computer and the other the rest of the cable outlets.

The cable networks do have slowdowns during high usage periods. For that matter so does DSL. It all depends on how much your provider oversells their bandwidth.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt