Stupid question #243

Page 1 of 2
I got a million of 'em.
I need to replace the fascia board on the front of my house. 'I' meaning, I need to call someone who will do that. Attached (and I use that word very loosely) to this board is the gutter.
Who should I call? Gutter installers won't know anything about replacing that wood part, would they? I don't particularly need new gutters, so if I call a carpenter, do you think they would take off and replace the gutter?
Or do I need to call both a carpenter (? or who?) and a gutter installer.
nancy
I'm sure any decent carpenter/handyman would do both

I really need someone like that. I had a very bad experience with the last one I hired for a different job. I think that's what's holding me back from getting this taken care of. Thanks for the advice.
nancy

What city/town are you in ? Maybe "Somebody" knows "Somebody"

Middletown, NJ.
nancy

Middletown's.. Chuck (in SC)

No kidding! First I heard of it.
Relating to my problem, I've decided I could call the guy who installed my windows just recently. Surely he would know someone.
nancy

Chuck (in SC)

Oh, he's great. Nothing negative about him; smart and a very hard worker, etc. However, his company installs windows for Pella and he's so busy it's not funny. Who knows, maybe he'll say he'll do it.
Don't want to get my hopes up.
nancy

*You from Jersey?"
" I'm from Jersey!"
"Oh yeah, what exit?"

Talk to locals at the vegetable/fruit stands...
You may shop, antique shop owners are often local and need someone to talk too!
-- Oren

"The one with the chemical plant."
"Which one?"
"The one that caught on fire last week."
"Which one?"
--
Regards,
Nancy Young wrote:

Siding installer usually does that.

Oh! Well, that is someone who would do that kind of stuff, thanks.
nancy

Hell almost anybody can do that. Roofers/gutter guys replace a lot of rotten boards
Nancy Young wrote:

I second the motion that any COMPETENT carpenter should be able to do both.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I need a list of competent people I could just pick from. Having a carpenter I could trust would be a very good thing for me.
nancy

You just have to dive in, and find someone, and use him (or her - heck, I had a lady mason!) again if it works out well.
Start with recommendations from trusted friends, coworkers, and neighbors. If none are forthcoming from there, ask a local lumber yard. That's how I found my excellent GC. Didn't have anyone, needed new doors installed, went with the installation guy my local lumber yard/hardware store had on their list. I lucked out. But that's how it has to be sometimes.
Cheers, Banty

Yeah, I struck out the first time in a bad way and it's made me leery.

Interesting idea. Maybe I'll give that a try. Thanks.
nancy

A nice type of gutter is "seamless", which has not joints which will eventually leak. I would call the gutter guys and ask them if they will also do the fascia. From my experience as a roofing and siding mechanic in the past, so will and some won't.

That's what I have, I had them installed a long time ago. In retrospect I should have had the fascia board replaced then.

Wouldn't kill me to get new gutters, though the only thing about the ones I have now are that they are faded and are hanging off through no fault of their own.
nancy