stupid electrical action

Page 2 of 2  
On 10/29/2015 07:08 PM, Frank wrote:

They were a fire hazard and taken off the market by the TSA. Maybe you can still find one on fleabay.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 12:58:13 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

outlet before doing this when i attach the 2 wires to it. I must have tri ed this at least a half dozen times, always making sure about the wire plug . Finally, at the last attempt, i got the proper fit and added the bulb, tu rn the little switch on the wire to test if the connections worked. It did, and then to my surprise, I noticed that last time I did not bother to ever remove that wire from the outlet. I thought, how come I did not get electr ocuted or at the least some shocked?
I have a guess why you didn't get a shock or at least a spark.
I didn't understand what you were doing until others posted photos. You we re changing out the socket/receptacle that the bulb fits into. It has a pu shbutton. You needed to attach wires to the little screws inside the, well , let's call it lamp holder, I think that's a more understood term. You un plugged the cord from the wall receptacle, er, outlet, each time, as you sh ould. Except one time you forgot, but you didn't get a shock or spark.
Here's what else you have in that original post. "turn the little switch o n the wire" I have several lamps that have a little turn switch on the cord itself. That is the switch for the lamp. If that switch is turned off th ere should be no power to the lamp, even if the cord is plugged in. In the ory.
It is still better to unplug the cord, because that switch usually only swi tches the hot leg, and if the cord is plugged in wrong or the outlet is wir ed wrong it might switch the neutral instead. That would turn off the lamp but leave one of the wires hot.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.