Stupid electric eye

Page 2 of 2
Steve Barker wrote:

any more when walking by and the stupid light doesn't come on every time I walk out the open door.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

Interesting thread you started. Quite interesting how some have tried to equate a garage door coming downwards with vehicles and structures. But I am another that has my sensors on top of the opener, pointing at each other. Peice of twine holding them together. Some day, the manufacturers will be required to use other methods to make sure that they are indeed spaced 8 or 16 feet apart. There would then be a mirror on the wall of my garage.
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:49:46 -0500, Van Chocstraw

Sure you can disconnect the wires. But why disable a safety feature? If a child was killed or injured what would the judge say about negligence? I'd think it would be worse if the safety feature was removed than a dorr that never had a safety feature. The right thing to do is to fix the safety feature of both doors.
bzzzzzzzzzzzzzt! wrong. if you disconnect the wires, it won't work at all.
thanks for playing though.

Someone missed the point, but look amused!
On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:23:28 -0600, "Steve Barker"

Phisherman wrote:

Doesn't the electric-eye business just prevent an inconvenient bruise? By that I mean if the door actually HITS an obstruction, won't it automatically reverse anyway?
I thought the electric eye sensors were to prevent a bump on the head, not to prevent the life squeezed out of you by a relentless motor that says "I'm gonna put this goddamn door down no matter what!"
I suppose you could pull your car half-way into the garage such that the safety beams were unimpeded as they shined underneath the car. If so, are you in danger of a home-made car-crusher? I don't think so.

Apparently, the concern is for small kids who aren't "hard" enough to trip the reverser...
On Sun 28 Dec 2008 01:58:51p, Robert Neville told us...

Any "small kid" trying to get into my garage deserves being bopped by the garage door. Got no kids; don't want no kids.
--
Wayne Boatwright

yeah but would you want your neighbors 3 year old who wandered for just a minute killed trying to get in your garage? � � �
because you disabled the safety system???� � � � � �
On Sun 28 Dec 2008 06:33:17p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com told us...

My opener is probably 30+ years old and works like new. I wouldn't replace it just for that reason. It does have auto-reverse based on pressure, but no electric eye. If I had a neighbor with a 3 year old, then I'd suggest they keep a better eye on it and teach it not to go on other people's property.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Steve pointing at Wayne: "What he said".....

i can stick ONE finger under mine and it will reverse without moving my hand so much as a half inch. I don't think kids are that soft..... It's all governmental bullshit.

Steve Barker wrote:

Fail-safe systems often fail by failing to fail safe.
A better safety feature would be, in my estimation, an audio device. It could be two-way. Before activating the closing sequence it would go "Beep-beep-beep... The door is closing. Please stand back. The door is closing..." like on subway trains.
Of course this wouldn't work too well for someone trying to sneak home without waking the wife after a night of debauchery.
Anyway, the reversing mechanism would come into play if the audio device detected unabated screaming.