Stupid electric eye

Page 1 of 2
I have 2 electric open garage doors. One has no gismos on it and it goes up and down fine. The other one has that goddamn electric eye that keeps getting out of line plus when the door is open the goddamn light keeps coming on when you walk through. Can I just disconnect the wires and have it work like the sensible door?
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

No you can't just disconnect the wires but what you can do is put the eyes up above the door pointing at each other and you won't have these problems again. Then when selling the house put them back for safety and inspection reasons. I don't know who made them mandatory but they cause more problems then they solve IMHO.
Merry Christmas!
Rich

At last! Someone with the SAME frustration as me.
No longer can we push the button and make a run for it while the door closes.
No longer can we walk through the open door in darkness when we so choose.
Once, my door operator would close the overhead door down to the "beam" then retract abruptly. There was a leaf - a STUPID *LEAF* - that was stuck to the bottom gasket that was interrupting the light beam, causing the door to reopen.

Hand-wringing, bleeding-heart mode: ON
If only ONE life is saved by such a safety mechanism, then everyone should cheerfully accept the inconvenience and hassle of the system.
What a crock.
--
<sigh>
JR

Once mine was doing that, cleaned lenses, tried this, tried that then spotted one single sprig of cheatgrass growing right at the base of the jamb - breeze was blowing it across the beam.
Harry K
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:44:42 -0600, Jim Redelfs wrote:

I modify the usage a bit on mine. Instead of having them six inches off the floor I string a taught-line to determine the line for the farthest forward part of both vehicles. After some tweaking I end up with a door that won't come down if either vehicle would get hit.

...as long as the savee is a heterosexual tax-paying citizen-- and preferably not a liberal-- I can live with it ;-)
Sharp Dressed Man wrote:

I wonder what the "no one can tell me what to do" homes actually look like or are they just folks who enjoy being contrary?
I can understand the idea of having standardization and rules. I like the idea that I can get on a train and there is a pretty good chance that another one won't be coming the other way. Or that pressure safety valves are required on water heaters, or that incidents such as one that recently happened when a deck fell because the ledger wasn't properly attached leaving someone a quadraplegic can be prevented or that I might be able to escape a hotel fire because of fire alarms and panic hardware on fire doors.

Just like yours. However, the occupant(s) might be a bit more frustrated than you by intrusive safety mandates.

Naw. I buckle-up EVERY time I drive. I won't ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Still, seatbelt and helmet laws SUCK big time.

Your examples of "standardization and rules" are well stated. Stopping at a stop sign or red light is obviously A Good Thing<tm>.
"Crash bar" latches on doors that open OUTWARD on the exits of public buildings were mandated after there were hundreds or thousands of fire fatalities.
One or two "conventional" doors that open OUTWARD, located on either side of a revolving door, were mandated after there were hundreds or thousands of fire fatalities.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocoanut_Grove_fire> <http://www.firenews.org/cocoanutgrove64.html
T&P (safety) valves were mandated after hundreds or thousands of injuries and fatalities caused by exploding, overheated water heaters.
<http://www.wattswater.com/_company/history.asp
Nit-picky stuff, such as overhead door operator "electric eyes" are more of a PITA than much else.
Such micro-management by those determined to prove they know better how to save us from ourselves than we do ourselves is abhorrent to me.
--
:)
JR

Jim Redelfs wrote:

How about the safety legend on every bucket of stuff to protect children from drowning? There was even a proposed regulation (I'm told) that mandated every bucket have a hole so it would not accumulate liquids in sufficient quantity to present a drowning hazard.
In the UK, some cities have an ordinance forbidding fire extinguishers from the common areas of apartment buildings under the theory that their availability merely encourages the amateur to fight a fires instead of calling the fire brigade.
Also in the UK, speed warning signs remained useless until the constabulary developed a training program for the acquisition, transportation, and safe use by all assigned personnel, of a one-meter step ladder.
As topical for the season, I suspect new laws will come into force soon demanding that all product packaging be able to be opened by simply blowing on the item. Thousands of ER visits took place yesterday as people employed sharp instruments (knives, razors, machetes, axes, etc.), saws, and even flames to gain access to the clam-shelled goodies contained therein.

ARGH!! [ROFL] :)
<ahem> You're probably right, though.
--
:)
JR

Classic case of putting a bandaid on a problem instead of fixing it. A couple of instances of the auto reverse function not working on the door, someone gets an arm or leg (or car!) dented and they decide to put in the photocell instead of fixing the obstruction sensor.
Robert Neville wrote:

No, it's just another Band-Aid trying to cover for ignorant, irresponsible parents. Some shit head squished their toddler under the garage door because they were not properly supervising the toddler and they hit the close button without looking - something that is clearly negligence on their part. Of course they get or perhaps were slime ball lawyers so they decide to make a big stink and blame the garage door manufacturer in order to hide from their own responsibility. The end result is yet another asinine "safety" device that causes problems for millions of people in order to try to protect tens of people from their own irresponsibility.

    Let's see, inconvenience vs possible injury or death. I will take a few more inconveniences over possible death any day. The reason they were put in was due to the number of serious injurys and deaths that were occurring.
OP If you follow Rich's advice and a neighbor kid gets hurt or worse, you are not going to be very happy.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The problem is what you indicate simply isn't true. It was true in the past that new safety standards resulted from numerous injuries and deaths, and there was plenty of review to determine if the new rules were justified. Today, these new "safety" rules often result from a single lawsuit which goes unproven when a manufacturer caves and settles out of court, implementing some asinine "safety" device rather than going to the effort of proving the person(s) who brought the lawsuit were actually at fault.
snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com says...

Use short wires to connect the units correctly, then place them face to face and tape them togther. Tape them on top of the opener. Works great.
--
MacD

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 15:17:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@norway.com (MacD) wrote:

    So you think that a working safety device is a bad idea. Do you have any idea what would happen if a neighborhood kid was injured by that door that you had intentionally disabled?
    It is not difficult to get those devices working as they should. I have found if you install and maintain them with minimal effort, they are very reliable.
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:12:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

And if the auto reverse is properly set the magic eye is totally redundant.
And if you want to wisable them, it is as simple as not installing them.
It sees you.
On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 08:49:46 -0500, Van Chocstraw

No goddamnit.
I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.
no, but you can mount them on the ceiling about 4 inches apart and they should cause no more trouble. I have four sets of them installed this way.