Studs in basement.

I'm building a 33' x 15' family room in the basement. Two of the walls will be divider walls, therefore built with 2" x 4" studs, etc. The other two walls will be over existing basement walls. All walls will be covered with drywall. I plan on installing some electric outlets on all four walls.
Should I use 2" x 4" studs up against the existing basement walls or will 2" x 2" be okay?
Peter.

2X4's since you are planning to run electric. Also, try looking at the metal studs. Easy to work with, cheap, very fast installs and prepunched for electrical/telco/cable pull (be sure to use grommets)

If you use wood studs, most areas now require that any wood in contact with concrete must be rot resistant. You could use cedar, pressure treated pine, etc..
Dave

@adelphia.net said...

I would use 2x3 for everything to save some money and get some easier handling. If you need the divider wall thicker for any reason, feel free to use 4's or 6's.
Also, make sure to use a pressure treated plate on the bottom instead of a regular stud.
I wouldn't go too close to the basement walls if possible. Those things can be mold factories. Also, you may want to run some cable in behind there at some point.

In damp areas, like basements, they rust. They are an electrical hazard if not done professionally. In all residential areas they transmit noise more than I like.
Tom J who has visited in a few homes built with metal studs in Southern AZ
I SECOND THE MOTION FOR STEEL STUDS. THEY'RE EASY TO WORK WITH, LIGHT TO CARRY AND DON'T WARP. THE CROSS PIECES ARE ALSO MUCH SIMPLER. THEY JUST SNAP IN PLACE.