Stud sensors - Just picked up Ziron TriScanner OneStep. Is this a keeper?

Yesterday, I went into my local Costco looking for something else, but noticed this selling for $30 and decided to pick it up. I figured I'd do some online research, determine if this thing is worth keeping and act accordingly. Managed to lose the receipt, but I haven't opened the package and figure Costco would let me return it.
I have another stud sensor which has worked for me in finding studs, if I'm careful, the time or two I used it. It's a Zircon Studsensor II. Both of these Zircon stud sensors use 9 v batteries. Is this new one worth keeping or should I return it for my $30?
On the package it says it'll find:
Wood & Metal studs to 3/4 inch deep
DeepScan to 1.5 inch deep
AC Wiring
Metal Pipes
Rebar
I would like to do some wiring in my house and if this thing can tell me if there's AC at a certain place in a wall, I figure it might pay for itself. Does it really do that? I also have some studfinding coming up.
Does anyone have experience with this or a similar TriScanner? TIA.
personally, i do not trust any of the stud meters to find wiring adequately. i can guess as well as it can.
randy

:personally, i do not trust any of the stud meters to find wiring adequately. :i can guess as well as it can. : :randy
So, then, in my case this is a waste of money and I ought to return it?
Does it matter if the circuit is being used? IOW, if there's a lamp on it, the lamp has to be on for the meter to register?
Thanks!
Dan :
[...]

well it tells you if theres wires in the area. say 1-2 feet of the area. if thats good enough for you then use it. it wont pinpoint a wire so you miss it with a screw.
randy
:
: :> wrote::> :> :personally, i do not trust any of the stud meters to find wiring :> adequately. :> :i can guess as well as it can. :> : :> :randy:> :> So, then, in my case this is a waste of money and I ought to return it?:> :> Does it matter if the circuit is being used? IOW, if there's a lamp on :> it, the lamp has to be on for the meter to register?: :well it tells you if theres wires in the area. say 1-2 feet of the area. :if thats good enough for you then use it. it wont pinpoint a wire so you :miss it with a screw. : :randy
That does sound pretty good, though. Does the AC have to have any juice going through it or just be there, say like wires going to an AC outlet with nothing plugged in? Thanks.
Dan

i cant say for sure, but i would bet money it detects current. no current, no light. if i really wanted to know i would read the instruction manual or call the manufacturer or visit their website.
randy
:
: :> :> wrote: :> :> :> :> :personally, i do not trust any of the stud meters to find wiring :> :> adequately. :> :> :i can guess as well as it can. :> :> : :> :> :randy :> :> :> :> So, then, in my case this is a waste of money and I ought to return it? :> :> :> :> Does it matter if the circuit is being used? IOW, if there's a lamp on :> :> it, the lamp has to be on for the meter to register? :> : :> :well it tells you if theres wires in the area. say 1-2 feet of the area. :> :if thats good enough for you then use it. it wont pinpoint a wire so you :> :miss it with a screw. :> : :> :randy:> :> That does sound pretty good, though. Does the AC have to have any juice :> going through it or just be there, say like wires going to an AC outlet :> with nothing plugged in? Thanks.: :i cant say for sure, but i would bet money it detects current. no current, :no light. if i really wanted to know i would read the instruction manual or :call the manufacturer or visit their website. : :randy : Yup, good idea. Thanks. Just found this link to it at Zircon's site:
http://www.zircon.com/SellPages/ScanAndSensor/ScanAndSensor.html
Dan
Dan_Musicant wrote:

Dan,
I would appreciate any feedback you offer here regarding that instrument.
:Dan_Musicant wrote: :> Yesterday, I went into my local Costco looking for something else, but :> noticed this selling for $30 and decided to pick it up. I figured I'd do :> some online research, determine if this thing is worth keeping and act :> accordingly. Managed to lose the receipt, but I haven't opened the :> package and figure Costco would let me return it. :> :> I have another stud sensor which has worked for me in finding studs, if :> I'm careful, the time or two I used it. It's a Zircon Studsensor II. :> Both of these Zircon stud sensors use 9 v batteries. Is this new one :> worth keeping or should I return it for my $30? :> :> On the package it says it'll find: :> :> Wood & Metal studs to 3/4 inch deep :> :> DeepScan to 1.5 inch deep :> :> AC Wiring :> :> Metal Pipes :> :> Rebar :> :> :> I would like to do some wiring in my house and if this thing can tell me :> if there's AC at a certain place in a wall, I figure it might pay for :> itself. Does it really do that? I also have some studfinding coming up. :> :> Does anyone have experience with this or a similar TriScanner? TIA.: :Dan, : :I would appreciate any feedback you offer here regarding that instrument.
Well, I'm wondering if I should open up the package in the first place. I don't have my receipt, but I called my local Costco today and they said I could bring it in next time I go, which will probably be in around 2 months. Having the Zircon Studsensor II, I wonder if this is better enough to warrant the $30 + tax expense.
Dan
Dan_Musicant wrote:

concerned that it may not be correct because you don't want to drill into a wire or stud thinking you are in a cavity in the wall in a customers home [esp if they are watching or worse 'helping'], but it give a pretty good indication of what is in the wall especially if its just one sheetrock thick wall covering.