Stuck windows

We have double pane windows. I noticed that one of the windows got stuck. We didn't paint them or anything. They came with the house and are 4 years old. This window is one of the frequently opened windows in the house. During this summer since the A/C was on, we didn't open it for 3 months or so. When the weather got better, we tried to open it and it was very hard to open and even harder to close.

We never lubricated the window since we bought the house. Should we lubricate the window once in a while? What kind of lube should we use for this? Will this fix the problem?

Thanks.

Reply to
tedneeley

OP here. Thanks for reply. I'm not at home right now so I'll take best guess at this. As I mentioned we use this window quite a bit but didn't use it in the last 3 months. It's a metal window. When I open the window, there's a metal rod on either side along the edges of the window (is this what you call metal track?) I think the window frame was painted four years ago when the house was built. We live in Texas so it gets upper 90's and lower 100's in summer. Currently it's around upper 80's for highs.

I hope someone can offer suggestions based on this. If you need more info, please let me know. Thanks.

Reply to
tedneeley

Depends on what the real problem is. Could just be from lack of use and some dirt. Don't say what type of window it is so can't comment on various types (vinyl/Al/wood/painted/unpainted/metal track/wood track/etc/etc/etc) that all have various symptoms.

It also could indicate a movement of the overall house that has cause the frame to move slightly resulting in the binding...

Nothing also was indicated about whether this is a wet/dry climate, whether there has been a recent wet/dry spell, etc. IOW, too little info to tell much.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Once you get it open and moving you can use silicone spray lube. Buy it at an auto supply store or department. It is safe to use on vinyl, metal and wood windows. Plain old canning wax works really well for wood windows also.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt