Stuck gas-range burner valves

3 of the 4 burner valves on my 20 yr. old Kenmore (Roper/Whirlpool - model: 103.7858012) gas range have become stuck in the "off" position. They did not become progressively more difficult to turn, they just "froze" one day...(not the same day). The valves are easy to get to and remove/replace but I have two main problems. One, I cannot locate a main shutoff valve for the stove, and two, all of the suppliers (including Sears) that I have contacted say that the valves are no longer available.

Can the valves be replaced with an available substitute? If so, where can it be obtained? Can the existing valves be "rebuilt"? If so, how? Can I do anything short of replacing the stove which is a double oven unit in which there is a smaller oven mounted above the 4-burner cooking surface. Both of the ovens are working properly. Is there any way I can deal with the stuck burner control valves short of replacing the entire unit at a cost of $1500-$1800 plus installation, etc. ?

Reply to
RMorell

I'm going to take a wild guess that the gas line comes to the stove from the floor and probably connects to the stove itself via a flex pipe of some type, correct? If you look at the fitting where the flex pipe meets up with the feed pipe (typically at floor level) you should find a shut off valve there. You might need to clean the fitting off with a damp rag or something and I'll tell ya, it's REAL easy to miss -- I must have looked at ours a dozen times over and never realized what it was.

Your unit sounds like the one we just replaced. Ours was also about 20 years old, double oven with a smaller one over top of the burners. We just said the heck with it and bought a floor model of a single oven unit. We kind of miss the top oven but it's really not that great of a loss and the new stove is a much better unit overall. We had considered hitting some of the second-hand stores that have refurbished/cleaned up used models and the like but the deal on the new one was too good to pass up. :)

James

Reply to
JNJ

Try Johnstone or WW Grainger or an appliance part store then asses

Reply to
SQLit

Hi,

They came up NLA for me as well :(

place says we are world leaders in the remanufacturing of thermostats, safeties, and gas valves for the aftermarket appliance industry.

See above.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff