Stuck batteries..

I've been handed a nice mag-lite with LED bulb and the batteries leaked and are now stuck in place. Perhaps this has come up before here but how can they be removed? So far I tried soaking them in PFM then pulling on them with a screw and pliers. No luck, no movement at all. Before I step it up a notch what do you say about this? The bulb end is easily removed and down in there is a thin snap ring that could be a challenge to remove. If that comes out perhaps the batteries can be driven out instead of pulled? It's a very nice flashlight and worth working on. phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

You _did_ try rapping the thing sharply on a wood block, yes? Sometimes inertia is your friend.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Pull the spring out of the butt cap and then screw the buttcap back in and SLAM!! it down on the buttcap on something firmly mounted. Like a piece of plywood on a concrete walkway or anvil

Do it a dozen times and it will often start the batteries moving. Been there, done that.

Oh..and put some vasiline or silicone grease on every thread you can find on the flashlite.

Gunner

"At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child, miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats." PJ O'Rourke

Reply to
Gunner Asch

SLAM! Hah! That could be an enjoyable procedure to try in case the easier attempts don't work. heh heh ... I'll be back in the shop today and have another go at it thanks to the advice offered here. I like to start politely and respectfully then bump it up a notch at a time till the SLAMMING satisfies me. ;>)} phil k.

Reply to
Phil Kangas

"Phil Kangas" <

Got the end of the snap ring up and out a short way but ribs on the switch housing prevent the ring from coming out of the groove. The ring won't rotate in the groove. Dead end. The SLAM trick didn't work either. Sooo, next trick to try is a triangular pointed chisel with only the top edge sharp and cut the battery lengthwise. This may be the best way. I ain't giving up... ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

"Phil Kangas" <

Finally got back to this today and had success! I put it in the lathe, with rags to catch the powder, and drilled into the outer battery with an 1 1/4 bit then split the remaining shell with the triangular chisel. Then with needle nose pliers I was able to twist out the battery. It is a CVS Pharmacy alkaline and made in USA with no original mfr noted. The inner battery came lose easily with the SLAM trick Gunner mentioned. Got it all cleaned out and lubed with silicone grease and it WORKS! Was it worth it? Yah, I won! phil k. ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas