Stucco, the real thing

Done some stucco work years ago and want to do some on my house now. I have ceder siding over 1/2 inch think foam insulation I think.

Anyway, doing some renovations and nor really wanting to but new ceder boards and is on the side of the house where I am putting in a new patio. I want to do some rock vener along the bottm and corners, and stucco in along the rest of the wall leaving the ceder boards on parts of the wall above the first floor ceiling to the top where the ends of the roof are in the back.

What I need to know is what is the best substrate I needt o put up to attached the wire mesh too to apply the stucco, I assume something besides the foam boards, and would I apply this backing over the foam boards or in place of (would it be too think if over the foam ?) How think should the backing be? and could I use that concrete board used for tile underlayment ?

Another question, I have a slab on grade, would the rock vener adhere to the wall OK or do I need some addtional support under the first course? If need addtional support, would be best to add to the exsisting foundation or would some sort of bottm board or angle iron acnchored into the foundation do the trick ?

Thanks for all the help in advance

MC

Reply to
MC

If it were me I would go to Home Depot or Lowes and find a book on the subject. I would be particularly concerned about the idea of rock veneer. They may look good for a while but if not done correctly could end up with a build up of moisture behind the veneer and rotting of the structural members of the house. All it takes is the wrong glue and no drainage system for disaster.

Reply to
Art