stucco repair question

Daughter's new house had water leak where the builders drove a nail into the copper pipe at the slab level. The walls were flooded and question is how to repair possible water damage without further damaging the stucco. The plumber came over with sledge hammer and holed the stucco to access the fault. Of course this loosened the stucco on the periphery of the hole but the repair was effected. Now here is the question. I think that the hole must be expanded to ascertain water damage on dry wall as well as the wall insulation. I surmise that the hole should be expanded neatly as with a saw to scribed the expanded hole outline in a neat manner instead of smashing the wall further with sledge. It seems to me smashing the stucco further with sledge would make the existing stucco loose to become unstucco.. Would appreciate advice and comments. Best to all, Seamus J. Wilson
You are right Seamus . Tell that hack with the sledge ,,,, Well you get the idea..
Sligo wrote:

I wouldn't want a plumber bashing holes in my walls in an old house, much less a new one. If it is a "new" house, either newly built or newly purchased, there should be some warranty. Get the insurance company and/or builder involved. How long do you estimate the leak existed? Stucco over frame? Had a recent termite inspection?
Off the top of my head, I think I'd rather replace a chunk of drywall on the inside, rather than bashing holes and then trying to patch/match the exterior. A friend of mine recently had her tree trimmer paint her house. Looks like it too. Trees look good :o)
Thank you for the informative replies. Best, Seamus J. Wilson