Stucco question

Page 1 of 2
I want to put a different color topcoat over existing stucco house. It's cementacious stucco in a semi-arid region. The house and stucco job are 6 or 7 yrs old.
I'm going to use a contractor, but I want to know the correct steps for doing this so I can avoid low estimate slip shod work.
Anybody know the factors and steps involved?
Thanks.
John D99 wrote:

Are you talking about paint or another coat of colored stucco?
If paint, same as anything else...clean and sound surface. May need a primer.
If colored stucco, I wouldn't. Why? Hard to keep an even color and unnecessary cost (compared to paint).
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Anther layerr of stucco.

John D99 wrote:

Think what you want to do as long as the stucco has never been painted is a Fog Coat. Its really the only way to color coat stucco. If you paint it, it can't breath any longer and the paint won't stick for all that long. Stucco is cement/concrete product it needs to breath, if you seal with paint that property is gone.
Fog Coat it!!!!! Goggle fog coating stucco
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

I see you dont live in an area with much stucco, I ve never seen stucco painted peel. It doesnt need to breath, its dead, its concrete.
ransley wrote:

An opinion from another source "In its hardened state, stucco is permeable and can breathe, allowing water vapor to escape rather than getting trapped behind the surface. Thanks to this breathability, stucco is able to resist rot and fungus." Learn the whole story here: http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Refinishing_Stucco-Stucco_Walls-A2557.html
Lou
LouB wrote:

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Refinishing_Stucco-Stucco_Walls-A2557.html

To add to my comment. It may depend where you live. AZ is dry FL is wet. The stucco houses in my area are all stucco over block whereas it is possible to so stucco over lathe on wood.
Lou
Lou

Concrete Block and Stucco is so common here in Florida that it is hard to find anything else. It is also hard to find a builder who doesn't paint it. Are they all wrong?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I have no idea, nor do I know if they are painting it or using a colored finish coat. Nor if they are using special paint. I also do not care since I am not the OP:-))
Lou

It is gray stucco with a regular outdoor latex paint.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yep, once painted you seal the moisture into the stucco and it will peel in a few years. If its been painted you don't have a choice you have to continue painting it. So make your choice, I'm just telling you the way it is.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

The way it is for me - in Florida - is...
1. My new house was built and stuccoed early in 1996
2. It was painted a month or so after being stuccoed with latex paint
3. *NONE* of the paint has ever peeled
4. It will need repainting within 2-3 years
Conclusion: I'd rather repaint than not paint and have to add stucco, "fog coat" or not.
Supposition: The fact that latex paint will slide right off of unprimed metal if the paint gets wet leads me to think that latex paint isn't all that impermeable.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Now that I look back on your posts. Florida homes are built with block then stucco on top. Painting is probably the right way of doing it. Here in California houses are built with lath and paper and then stucco on top because of earthquakes. I would never paint them here. Fog Coating is the way it's done and it looks like its just had a fresh coat of stucco. Painting in your area is probably the way to go. Latex is very flexible and holds up well.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Yes I understand making statements about what we do in one state may be totally wrong somewhere else. It is like the vapor barrier in your attic.. Where is the warm moist air? Here it is in the attic, not the house so the logic is upside down from what you might do in Michigan..
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Two excellent summaries!
Lou
dadiOH wrote:

I don't know of anyone with concrete block and stucco (everyone in FL?)who uses anything else. When we painted our condo, we received bids only for latex/acryllic - the reason being that water-based paint allows masonry to "breathe" and give off some of the inherent moisture.

Why on earth 2-3 years? 8-10 is norm. My parents home was painted when 10 years old, although there was no apparent need. Used Ben Moore when new, of course.
Our condo was in sorry shape when we purchased - really, really bad paint job. It apparently had not been pressure washed prior to the last paint job, and paint was hanging in sheets. We certainly didn't want a repeat of that disaster, so were painfully careful in interviewing contractors and determining what product to use. After a week of pressure washing, our wonderful contractor started with masking and painting. Two weeks for that. It's been eight years, and no problem whatsoever with the paint job.

Because the paint is still decent even though 13 years old; another 2-3 years and I suspect it will be at the point of needing new paint.
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

Ahhhh........perfectly clear after second cup of coffee :o)

Florida is like the other poster said of California. Most of our houses are concrete block and stucco. Stucco over wood is just asking for trouble in my opinion. If that is what you are talking about I apologize, I was confused. If you don't paint stucco you will eventually build up enough crud in the stucco that it needs something. You can acid wash it and stucco again or paint. BTW if this is stucco over block, the only thing I know about, where is all of this moisture coming from? The stucco is your vapor barrier. (you do want it closest to the warm moist side don't you?) A decent builder won't hang drywall until the stucco is done because unfinished block will wick water.
LouB wrote:

http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Refinishing_Stucco-Stucco_Walls-A2557.html
Thanks for the backup source.... It's amazing what people don't know and still want to argue about it.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"