Stucco question

I want to put a different color topcoat over existing stucco house. It's cementacious stucco in a semi-arid region. The house and stucco job are 6 or

7 yrs old.

I'm going to use a contractor, but I want to know the correct steps for doing this so I can avoid low estimate slip shod work.

Anybody know the factors and steps involved?

Thanks.

Reply to
John D99

Are you talking about paint or another coat of colored stucco?

If paint, same as anything else...clean and sound surface. May need a primer.

If colored stucco, I wouldn't. Why? Hard to keep an even color and unnecessary cost (compared to paint).

Reply to
dadiOH

Anther layerr of stucco.

Reply to
John D99

Think what you want to do as long as the stucco has never been painted is a Fog Coat. Its really the only way to color coat stucco. If you paint it, it can't breath any longer and the paint won't stick for all that long. Stucco is cement/concrete product it needs to breath, if you seal with paint that property is gone.

Fog Coat it!!!!! Goggle fog coating stucco

Reply to
evodawg

I see you dont live in an area with much stucco, I ve never seen stucco painted peel. It doesnt need to breath, its dead, its concrete.

Reply to
ransley

An opinion from another source "In its hardened state, stucco is permeable and can breathe, allowing water vapor to escape rather than getting trapped behind the surface. Thanks to this breathability, stucco is able to resist rot and fungus." Learn the whole story here:

Lou

Reply to
LouB

To add to my comment. It may depend where you live. AZ is dry FL is wet. The stucco houses in my area are all stucco over block whereas it is possible to so stucco over lathe on wood.

Lou

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Concrete Block and Stucco is so common here in Florida that it is hard to find anything else. It is also hard to find a builder who doesn't paint it. Are they all wrong?

Reply to
gfretwell

I have no idea, nor do I know if they are painting it or using a colored finish coat. Nor if they are using special paint. I also do not care since I am not the OP:-))

Lou

Reply to
LouB

It is gray stucco with a regular outdoor latex paint.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hey Dude, I live in California, every house here is stucco.

Reply to
evodawg

Yep, once painted you seal the moisture into the stucco and it will peel in a few years. If its been painted you don't have a choice you have to continue painting it. So make your choice, I'm just telling you the way it is.

Reply to
evodawg

Thanks for the backup source.... It's amazing what people don't know and still want to argue about it.

Reply to
evodawg

The way it is for me - in Florida - is...

  1. My new house was built and stuccoed early in 1996

  1. It was painted a month or so after being stuccoed with latex paint

  2. *NONE* of the paint has ever peeled

  1. It will need repainting within 2-3 years

Conclusion: I'd rather repaint than not paint and have to add stucco, "fog coat" or not.

Supposition: The fact that latex paint will slide right off of unprimed metal if the paint gets wet leads me to think that latex paint isn't all that impermeable.

Reply to
dadiOH

The thing is - even though as an aside he says stucco can be applied over concrete - Vila is talking about stucco over *wood*. Note he mentions dry rot as one of the nasties that can occur should you fail to head his warning and paint your stucco. Concrete block doesn't rot, dry or not.

Reply to
dadiOH

Florida is like the other poster said of California. Most of our houses are concrete block and stucco. Stucco over wood is just asking for trouble in my opinion. If that is what you are talking about I apologize, I was confused. If you don't paint stucco you will eventually build up enough crud in the stucco that it needs something. You can acid wash it and stucco again or paint. BTW if this is stucco over block, the only thing I know about, where is all of this moisture coming from? The stucco is your vapor barrier. (you do want it closest to the warm moist side don't you?) A decent builder won't hang drywall until the stucco is done because unfinished block will wick water.

Reply to
gfretwell

Now that I look back on your posts. Florida homes are built with block then stucco on top. Painting is probably the right way of doing it. Here in California houses are built with lath and paper and then stucco on top because of earthquakes. I would never paint them here. Fog Coating is the way it's done and it looks like its just had a fresh coat of stucco. Painting in your area is probably the way to go. Latex is very flexible and holds up well.

Reply to
evodawg

Yes I understand making statements about what we do in one state may be totally wrong somewhere else. It is like the vapor barrier in your attic.. Where is the warm moist air? Here it is in the attic, not the house so the logic is upside down from what you might do in Michigan..

Reply to
gfretwell

Two excellent summaries!

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I don't know of anyone with concrete block and stucco (everyone in FL?)who uses anything else. When we painted our condo, we received bids only for latex/acryllic - the reason being that water-based paint allows masonry to "breathe" and give off some of the inherent moisture.

Why on earth 2-3 years? 8-10 is norm. My parents home was painted when

10 years old, although there was no apparent need. Used Ben Moore when new, of course.

Our condo was in sorry shape when we purchased - really, really bad paint job. It apparently had not been pressure washed prior to the last paint job, and paint was hanging in sheets. We certainly didn't want a repeat of that disaster, so were painfully careful in interviewing contractors and determining what product to use. After a week of pressure washing, our wonderful contractor started with masking and painting. Two weeks for that. It's been eight years, and no problem whatsoever with the paint job.

Reply to
norminn