Stucco - paperback lath: spacing of nails / staples

Anyone know what the spacing of nails or staples should be when attaching paperback lath to the wood frame?

Reply to
Apropos

This varies with locality. Here in CA we must nail/staple on every stud and at 6" intervals vertically. Be sure your lath is firred up an appropriate distance (3/8 - 1/4") from the sheathing surfact either by spacer nails or self-firring lath.

FYI, from doing demo of stucco I can tell you that staples shot with an air stapler are easily 10 times stronger than nails. My opinion is that self-firred lath with paper stapled in is unbeatable for strength and durability as well as speed of installation.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Just the opposite of roofing nails vs. staples, I guess, and no doubt due to the large tensile strength of the lath. If it's nailed into old

1x shiplap sheathing, the nails are still a bear to pull, so the extra strength of the staples would only come into play during demo of the stucco veneer.

Just did a stucco rip-off this week on a 75 year old house. What a can of worms! Entire corners of the house framing and sheathing are gone - I mean it's rotted to the point where there's nothing there. The only thing holding up parts of the house is habit.

RicodJour

I think the big reason the staples are so strong (aside from the 2 spikes as opposed to 1 nail) is the glue that is on them. THey're like sinker nails - that stuff really works!

RicodJour wrote:

Reply to
Mike

Hmm?