stucco painting versus "dashing"

Stucco should NEVER be painted with house paint. If you're seeing professionals "paint" stucco, chances are they're "dashing" the stucco. Dashing is done by mixing a slurry of cement with colorant. They use a large brush and either "snap" the brush to splash the slurry onto the stucco, or they brush it on.

Stucco breathes and if you apply house paint, it tends to seal the pores in the cement (just like you would expect it to work on regular siding). Once it's painted, it's difficult to go back to dashing. Either you have to wait years for the paint to oxidize, or you have to sandblast the house.

This advice comes from years of working in the painting/contracting biz. We dashed homes all the time. If an owner wanted us to use housepaint, we would do it, but not give a warranty.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

hummmmmmmmmmm

Great post!

Reply to
Billy Pilgrim

Again, are we talking about stucco over block or stucco over framed construction? In a block wall house the stucco is the thing that keeps the water out. They never drywall a house before they stucco the outside or the drywall on the outside walls will mold.

Reply to
gfretwell