Stucco color matching

For patching small areas, is it best to just stucco it with no color and then plan on painting over it? I have added color a couple of times and it's close, but never close enough that I don't have to paint over it. Feathering the stucco out is good enough for me, but does not pass for the in-house inspector/wife.

basically

exhaust

the

Thanks, fellers. I'll take the easy way out, use plain stucco and then color match with paint. I did this before with some really small patches and HDepot did a good job matching the color. Last time the stucco was done was over 20 years ago and still mostly OK. I liked the idea of coloring the stucco to avoid having to repaint later, but looks like it's not practical for an amateur like me.
Now I'm practicing matching the texture. It was put down in 2 layers. First layer has swirls (sand swirl) like this...
http://www.drywallschool.com/swirl.JPG
The 2nd layer is a knockdown pattern kind of like this...
http://www.extremehowto.com/wp-content/uploads/hotprod_images/knockd6.jpg
Whoever dreamed up the knockdown style ought to have his balls shot off at high noon. Besides being impossible to duplicate, the rough texture is a magnet for dirt and bugs.
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 00:23:27 -0800, "Guv Bob"

Every guy does knockdown a little different and you can usually figure out who did it after you get used to their work. I agree, it is almost impossible to duplicate. I think the problem is it is harder to find people who can make it smooth. The old "plaster" guys are all dead.
And I know how to SNIP

Isn't that a shame? A lot of trades going by the wayside. Guy I knew was always busy because he was one of the few left...
--
Tekkie

That's been my experience as well.

I'm very reluctant to use any kind of paint over stucco as the chances of trapping moisture behind the stucco is very high. Better to consider something like this:
http://www.elrey.com/literature/fog_kote.pdf
Keep in mind you don't have to cover the entire house. As long as you get reasonably close to the original color all you need to do is the repaired section of wall to the corners.
Oren posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Do you recommend "air fluff"?
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

Is that the stuff they spray unruly prisoners with? Oh, thats OC!
Do you need an inspection done? I would be glad to do it!
Your place sounds like a palace compared to my dump.
Please forward addy and funds.
--
Tekkie