Stucco ceiling repaid question

Had a leak in the upstairs bathroom, it leak though the floor and ruined a portion (about 2' x 2') of our living room /dinning room stucco ceiling.

I'm decent with drywall putty repairs, but never done stucco ceilings.

I'm planning to cut out the bad part of the ceiling, and replace with a new peace of drywall then some putty. Can I just redo the repaired area with a stucco roller and then paint the whole ceiling with a paint roller after that, or are the repairs likely to show through?

This is an older house we just purchased, were trying to fix up as best we can with what little money we have, do they still use stucco ceilings in modern homes? Is it possible to remove all the stucco?

Please & thank you.

Reply to
Rick2

Stucco is like concrete and would not be bothered by water at all. I think you have Popcorned cielings and you can buy a small can of the texture at the hardware store which you can dab over the repair when you are finished.

You can scrape the stuff off if you get it damp but it is a messy job. Many people hate the stuff and are happy after removing and retexturing.

I'm sure they still use the stuff in cheaper homes and apartments because it is easy to apply and hides a lot of defects. Upscale homeowners would likley prefer smooth or smoother textures as that is what is in style today.

Reply to
PipeDown