Stucco

I have done stucco before on some churches in Mexico and am going to do my garage. I am under the impression that without wire mesh under the stuuco the failure rate is higher. The mesh at home depot would cost close to $1000. I saw 'flip that house' on TV the other day and they were stuccoing over what looked like chicken wire. I think that would be less expensive than the stuff made for stucco but would it be acceptable?

Reply to
Jasper

Oops, forgot to mention that this is over block that has been painted. The paint is failing.

Reply to
Jasper

Over block the wire is not as important as it is over some other material. The real issue for you is to get as much of the flaking paint off as you can and use "link" to bond the stucco to the block. I would use a cup brush on a side grinder and knock off everything that is flaking. Wear a respirator!

Reply to
gfretwell

Thanks for advice. What is 'link'?

Reply to
Jasper

Or he could use a commercial pressure washer (not one of those toys meant for cleaning car wheels). Weldcrete is one brand name of a bonding agent. If the block is in good shape with no cracks, you probably don't need mesh and can use one-coat stucco directly on the Weldcreted block.

RicodJour

I "mortar washed" my painted block house and it came out fine. Cleaned with a pressure washer, then scaping, then the contractor applied a bonding agent. Brown coat went down, a couple of days later the texture went on. Painted still looks good 20 years later. This method is still being used today over block.

Doing any less than the building code is not a good plan. I believe you need to do some further research before you "mess it up"

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Rusht Limpalless

But check with your insurance agent first -- syntehtic stucco over foam is almost uninsurable in many markets because of all the water intrusion, rot, and mold claims that are allegedly caused by dfective matierals, sloppy installation, or improper maintenance, depending on whose lawyers you ask.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

update: knocked off all the loose stucco, 99% came off "easily". Borrowed a 2600 psi presure washer and will clean the blocks. I guess then would be the time to do any mortar/ repair to block walls prior to bondage. Looked into lime/mortar wash. Do to some damage to wall [seems a cadillac ran the stop sign & hit it many years ago] I htink stucco might be better choice because it could cover more imperfections left from the cadillac.

Reply to
Jasper