Strong sulfur smell from furnace

Fact. Call the state, ask for his licence, and they go.."what was that name again? " Better yet, do as I did...call him, and tell him you have a job you need done at a rental home you own there, and ask him to give you his licence number and insurance info...you wont get it...and by law, when asked directly they have to either give it to you, or tell you where it is located.

Reply to
steve

Julie where in PA are you? Maybe I can recommend a licence competent service company for you?

Barry

Reply to
Barry

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote in message news:WyUMd.64$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

Thanks Steve.

Here is an update: the second floor tenant came home (he comes here only twice a week or so), and he thinks what caused the smoke might just be because he left the furnace door open, thereby causing the smoke to pour out into the basement. And I think that's where I saw the smoke coming from when I went down there the other night. He said he already replaced the nozzle, and he is testing the furnace right now. He is a mason by trade, but also sells scrap iron. But he and his friends do all sorts of things like auto work, plumbing, furnace, electrical, etc. I think he might even get free heating oil.

Reply to
Julie P.

Thanks Barry. It's not my choice, since I am not the landlord, but I am in the Collegeville/Phoenixville/Skippack area, about an hour northwest of Philadelphia.

Reply to
Julie P.

PHILADELPHIA??!!!!

Hell! I hope you FREEZE!!!!

Now if you were in New England..........

;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Tekkie this is your neck of the woods maybe you can help Julie out. Julie, I am about one and half hours north of you. If your landlord does not fix this problem to your satisfaction I would call in a pro and deduct the cost from the rent. This is a serious situation. If, your like most people you don't want to make waves. But, your life may be on the line.

Barry

Reply to
Barry

This is just getting too funny. Please make sure you let us know where you live so we can read about you and the tennant upstairs dying from using the rigged oil furnace that the mason fixed while burning some free used motor oil with gasoline and everything else in the world mixed in with it. Lady, between you, the landlord and this mason hack, you all sound like the cheapest bunch of gypsies on the planet. "Free Oil" ! That is a riot. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You are NOT understanding or not caring. A nozzle and filter will NOT fix the problem. It needs to be cleaned and then the burner needs to be set up properly. This takes expensive equipment that any good oil serviceman has on his truck. It takes combustion efficiency equipment (preferably digital), a stack thermometer, an oil pressure gauge, a smoke pump and a draft gauge. Anything less is pure bull and that "mason" firend will not have it nor know how to operate it if he did have it. Do it right! Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Thanks Barry! So far, it's been 24 hours, and the problem seems to be fixed. No more smoke coming into the basement. But I realize the furnace needs to be professionally serviced, so I'll have to brow-beat my landlord over this. :)

Reply to
Julie P.

Thanks for this detailed advice. I will print this out and try to convince my landlord of this.

Reply to
Julie P.

LOL! Fortunately for me, I am not a native of this area, so I don't have any love for the Eagles. I'm actually a Buffalo fan--so I guess that makes us rivals. :)

J.

Reply to
Julie P.

Subject: Re: Strong sulfur smell from furnace Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Julie P. LOL! Fortunately for me, I am not a native of this area, so I don't have any

As a former Oiler fan, I bid you a solid "eat my shorts"!

Reply to
G. Morgan

After the landlord responded that HE would do the repair I would be on the phone to the fire department to have the furnace red tagged.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill