stripping zinc with vinegar update

finally got started on this stripping project. Yesterday evening, I poured a 32"oz bottle of white vinegar in a plastic container and placed the 4 zinc plates in there. let sit over night. checked this morning. I added 1/2 a bottle of white vinegar to the container. it wasn't finished stripping the zinc from the plates. it did 2 of them of them at least 99% stripped. one of them is still shiny, and the other is 50% stripped thru. I wonder if the quality of white vinegar is a factor. I got this Great Value White Vinegar from the walmart grocery store, it was cheaper than the regular brand white vinegar.
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!

Dilute the muriatic acid by pouring a small amount into water first or you won't have anything left.
dilbert firestorm wrote:

5% vinegar is 5% vinegar, regardless of brand. Same with 5.25% hypochorite solution (bleach).
The thing to watch for is the rate of the reaction; as acetic acid becomes zinc acetate, the remaining acetic acid in solution will be further diluted, and will work slower to dissolve the remaining zinc. Because of this, you might have better results if, after letting it work overnight, you replaced the spent acetic acid solution instead of adding more vinegar to it, and diluting the new product.
You might also try heating up the vinegar to promote a more vigorous reaction from the get go, and lightly abrading the surface with a green 3M scrubby to further promote the reaction.
Jon
On 4/3/2011 2:15 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

I still think just scuffing it with the scrubby and washing in dish soap would have been plenty. Then paint with stove paint and bake. I predict OP will soon have rust forming in every little paint nick on this thing.
--
aem sends...

On 04/03/2011 01:45 PM, aemeijers wrote:

sorry, I was too lazy to do some scuffing.
what's stove paint?
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On 4/3/2011 2:15 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

I've seen vinegar with different percentages but i forget if it was higher or lower.
On 04/03/2011 12:51 PM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

1st stripping attempt
http://img846.imageshack.us/i/zincplatestrip112011040.jpg/
http://img200.imageshack.us/i/zincplatestrip122011040.jpg/
2nd stripping attempt
http://img829.imageshack.us/i/zincplatestrip212011040.jpg/
http://img825.imageshack.us/i/zincplatestrip222011040.jpg/
looks done
--
<---=-Dilbert Firestorm-=--->
Zizzle that Fire - it's Zizzle Time !!!!!!!
On 04/05/2011 01:20 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

I knew I was gonna get some rust.
one of the L plate is rusting pretty good.
the other 3 plates are showing small amounts of rusts.
I'm surprised at how much rusting can vary between the 4 plates.