Stripping paint in the winter

I will be repainting my house this spring, but I would like to start stripping it over the winter. I live in upstate New York, but winter is not what it used to be. There are many warm days when doing this outside is actually more pleasant than in the summer sun.

My question is whether it is ok to leave the clapboards bare for a few months before doing a final sanding and priming/painting. My plan is to strip the worst off over the winter and do the final sanding in the spring to expose fresh wood before I primed painted. I would think that they would not weather significantly over a few months. Any

thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
jimbob

Wood can weather severely over a few months, especially if exposed to water or snow. You'll probably be okay to strip the paint where there is no chance of prolonged contact with snow or rain. Also, you should do your homework on stripping entire houses. It can be a tedious, long, long job. Beware of shortcuts that could burn your house down.

Why not just powerwash, scrape, sand, prime, and then paint?

Reply to
TakenEvent

. I would

If it does weather a little just mix 50/50 household bleach & water in the spring and spray it on with a bug sprayer. Let it sit for a little while, then hose it off. It will make it look just like new.

JD

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek