Stripping paint from bay window?

Howdy all. I'm in the process of repainting the trim and windows in my living room, and am quite unsatisfied with how the paint is coating over the old paint. So... I gotta face the fact that I need to strip off the old paint. There's at least 2 old layers of the stuff and, in the windows, it's peeling/cracking in places. I'm scraping off what's peeling off now, but what I'm using (razor blade scraper device) isn't gonna do the job entirely. As far as the trim goes, I don't want to take it down, strip it, then repaint because "eventually" I'm gonna replace the windows and want to redo the trim then. Besides... it's impractical to take the bay window and wooden sills out just to paint so I may as well treat the trim the same. So... any suggestions on how to strip the old paint off? Chemical stripping will be too messy, methinks. I read about blowtorch and hot air gun techniques, but I've never used either and I'm concerned about how that may affect the window panes. Thanks for any and all advice!

Reply to
Just Annutha Dewd

I realize that you said "Chemical striping will be too messy", but take a look at 3M Safest Stripper, available at Home Depot and other stores. It's a very thick product that you spread on, then wait about 10 hours, and then just wipe off. If there are many layers of paint, you may need to apply a second treatment. It has almost no odor and you don't need to wear gloves when you use it. I had good results when using it to remove 3 coats of old exterior paint on wood. The main key to success when using it is to put it on very thick and to wait at least 8 hours before wiping it off.

You can read about on the 3M web site.

Reply to
You Asked

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:06:57 GMT, upon awakening from a drug-induced coma, You Asked woke up in a cold sweat and exclaimed:

Thanks for the tip... I think I will try this. In fact... this may be the safer way to go since it's likely that at least one of the old coats of paint is lead-based.

Reply to
Just Annutha D