Stripping pain off of raditor covers

In everyone's experience, what is the best way to strip the pain off of metal radiator covers? Using Paint stripper? Doe a right angle grinder work well? Wire brush on a drill?. Thanks for al the info!

Reply to
Greg-EE

jeeze...Sometimes spell checker is the worst! It is PAINT..Not pain....Sorry about that! "

Reply to
Greg-EE

Sand blasting is the fastest most effective way. If you have an air compressor there are low cost units that will do the job nicely. Commercial units are just a bit too hairy unless the technician can calm the velocity down to just get the paint without distorting the metal grill work. There is a wide choice of media, like walnut shells, plastic bits, glass beads and such that can be used in the civiian models. I have used glass beads mostly in my rig. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Could you recommend what to buy in a sand blasting unit.

My needs are primarily decorative glass work crafts, but also have some clean-up needs like paint removal.

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson

Maybe the OP is in pain !!!!

Reply to
Generic Male Homosapien

My blaster is a 25 year old unit made by ALC IIRC. I think the best source would be the automotive tools section of a catalog seller, like Northern Tools. The price has increased dramatically in the last few years: I paid about $39 for mine and now they go for $50 . Get a ceramic nozzle and air tip appropriate to your compressor size because these are suction type units. The basic parts can also be built into a home made blasting cabinet quite easily and this will make recycling the media easier. For glass crafts you can use silica sand (not round grain river sand) for all kinds of etching effects. Glass beads will give similar effects on Plexiglas and Lexan. Blasters are handy things to have around the shop if your projects are as unspecialized as mine are. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst