stripped screws in shower dain

I removed the old drain cover in my 11-year old shower to install a new one. I found the cast brass pipe had two brass screws, which were frozen in place and the heads stripped off when I tried to remove them.

My first question is why are there brass screws in a brass fitting with no thread compound? Why not use stainless, or aluminum, or nylon screws? Why install the parts in a way that guarantees they will freeze and the heads will strip off?

The second question is now that I have no screw holes for new screws how do I mount the new drain cover? I have installed a snap in replacement cover but it would be nice to have the original style cover held in place with screws.

I am considering using epoxy to glue a couple of nuts to the inside of the grain. Maybe something like a large volume of JB weld will work and I can drill and tap for new screws.

Reply to
rchrdprss

The old screws should be easy enough to drill out with a good quality drill bit of small diameter.

Reply to
philo

new one. I found the cast brass pipe had two brass screws, which were frozen in place and the heads stripped off when I tried to remove them.

with no thread compound? Why not use stainless, or aluminum, or nylon screws? Why install the parts in a way that guarantees they will freeze and the heads will strip off?

how do I mount the new drain cover? I have installed a snap in replacement cover but it would be nice to have the original style cover held in place with screws.

the grain. Maybe something like a large volume of JB weld will work and I can drill and tap for new screws.

Have you tried removing the screws with a left hand thread screw or screw extractor? Or maybe drill them out completely and tap slightly larger threads?

Reply to
Guv Bob

snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com...

one. I found the cast brass pipe had two brass screws, which were froze n in place and the heads stripped off when I tried to remove them.

no thread compound? Why not use stainless, or aluminum, or nylon screws? Why install the parts in a way that guarantees they will freeze and the heads will strip off?

w do I mount the new drain cover? I have installed a snap in replacement cover but it would be nice to have the original style cover held in place w ith screws.

the grain. Maybe something like a large volume of JB weld will work and I can drill and tap for new screws.

extractor? Or maybe drill them out completely and tap slightly larger thr eads?

I should have mentioned that. Yes, the screws are harder than the castin g. The drill went off center and the wall thickness is less than the screw diameter. So, yes I tried drilling but it did not work. BTW, I have n ever been able to make one of those screw extractors work...

Reply to
rchrdprss

[...]

They are often that way. You need to use a center punch when drilling out screws. And sometimes you need to start with a smaller bit and then go bac k with a larger bit.

Reply to
jamesgang

First, different metals are not always a good idea, actually usually a bad idea.

Brass to brass is fine. Some metals tend to react with each other when together and therefore require special treatment.

Most plumbing is brass or copper because it does not degrade much.

Drill the screws, and use an extractor. if you can't get the screw out drill it out and re-tap.

Reply to
woodchucker

Exactly... what he said.

Reply to
woodchucker

[...]

Yeah, I know what you mean. If it were me, my next solution would be to call a plumber! LOL!

Last time I changed the thermostat in my car, I sheared off the bolts. I tried drilling and extracting them and never did get them out. Ended up filing the bolts down even with the face, drilling new holes in the housing and drilling/tapping matching holes in the block. Saved $20 not taking it to the mechanic. ;O)

Reply to
Guv Bob