Stripped hex screw head

I need to remove a hex screw, but the head is stripped. Any ideas? Thanks.

How big, and from what? Vice-grips, for an initial try.

Something like this:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/stuckscrews.html
Remi wrote:

Lots of ways depending on the situation.
If the head protrudes, grab it with vise grips and twist it out.
If the head does not protrude, cut a slot with a dremel and than back it out with a screwdriver.
Another method is to drill a pilot hole in the center and then get it out with a screw extractor. Google on "easy out".
They also make a tool that basically combines the drilling and the extracting in one step, but the name of that tool escapes me at the moment. Used a lot for getting out old locks that have those one-way screws holding them to the door.
If this is a large fastener, like the alternator on a car or something, then there is another tool for this purpose like the set at Sears: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid952160000&cat=Hand+Tools,+General+Purpose&subcat=Bolt-Out,+Taps+%26+Dies&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1
Ken
Ken wrote:

agree.
that'll work too, although an intermediate step would be trying to drive in a Torx bit or maybe a cheesehead or "triple square" bit (that you don't care if you destroy.)

I've never had any luck with those.

left-handed drill bit? Such a thing does exist, usually packaged in a kit with EZ-outs.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid952160000&cat=Hand+Tools,+General+Purpose&subcat=Bolt-Out,+Taps+%26+Dies&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1
never tried that one.
Another option would be to MIG weld a nut to the head of the screw and use a wrench or socket to remove it.
good luck,
nate

If you can drill with a left-handed drill bit, that's even better. Sometimes the screw comes out while you're drilling.
HarborFreight now has a low-priced set of 4, when it used to be hard to get even two sizes. I have 'em but haven't used them yet.

This assumes you also have a drill that will run backwards.

A large pair of vise grips or a sharp drill and an easy out.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I have many times just drilled them off with a power drill.
I fix office mnachines for a living they use lots of fastners like these.
Its key to NEVER OVERTIGHTEN!
When a jerk says oh the allen was lose so I tightened it till it went click click click I KNOW I have a problem:(
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 15:19:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Purchase a cheap impact driver and a new bit for it. Get your moneys worth on the FIRST smack.

Could try ez-out, or one of those products sold by Sears to remove stripped screws.
Just guessing here, how about a photo for us?
later,
tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com
Remi wrote: - I need to remove a hex screw, but the head is stripped. Any ideas? Thanks.
Epoxy your wrench into the hole, wait overnight and remove it.