String Trimmer - String Replacement Device

A while back someone was advertising a replacement device for trimmers that eliminated the need for the string. Does anyone know if these are any good and, if so, where one might find them? Or what terms to use in a search?
Thanks for any info.
nr wrote:

A modern scythe is a great tool, if you want to putter around outside without gasoline, string and noise.
I cut an acre of lawn with one (which perhaps is extreme but I like it, changing a chore to a recreation, a couple swaths every day).
Anyway a scythe can cut weeds close to objects just fine too.
I get my stuff at http://www.scythesupply.com ; I don't know if there are other sources of European style scythes.
The key is keeping the blade insanely sharp, for lawn or close trimming (so you cut with a mere touch rather than a swing). Which means stopping every couple of minutes for ten seconds to whet the edge ; and peening the edge every couple of hours (I recommend the ``larger'' anvil and cross peen hammer, because it leaves the edge sharp when you're done, rather than dull, as opposed to the jug).
A whole outfit will run you about $170 plus more if you get into it and start looking for the perfect blade for every condition, as a pure hobby.
Pics from last summer, having left the windrow for effect (normally you leaf-sweeper it up with each swath)
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/scythedlawn01.jpg Scythed Lawn 1
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow01.jpg Annie Lying on Windrow 1
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow02.jpg Annie Lying on Windrow 2
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow03.jpg Annie Windrow 3
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow04.jpg Annie Windrow 4
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow05.jpg Annie Windrow 5
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow06.jpg Annie Windrow 6
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow07.jpg Annie Windrow 7
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow08.jpg Annie Windrow 8
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow09.jpg Annie Windrow 9
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow10.jpg Annie Windrow 10
http://home.att.net/~rhhardin/windrow11.jpg Annie Windrow 11
in case it appeals to anybody.
You don't have to be a green nutball (I'm not) if you like the hobby.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com