Stretching "concertina" ducting

I bought some flexible aluminum ducting that was claimed to be 8' long but of course was "collapsed" when I bought it.

Is there some special trick in stretching this stuff out to anything approaching its specified length? I only need it to stretch to about 5' long, but it just seems to keep "unraveling" -- coming apart where the "turns" overlap.

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Minnie,

I don't know what you bought. Is it single wall stuff for a dryer or is it insulated flex duct?

Most flex duct comes in 25' boxes. It usually has a inside plastic liner with a spiral wrapped wire inside - this wire is usually loosely fastened to the plastic, but can be pulled out. The outer wrapping is usually foil or plastic on top of fiberglass insulation.

You should be able to grab the inside plastic while someone else holds the other end of the inside plastic and accordion the thing right on out.

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
DanG

It's 6" dia. single-wall uninsulated flexible aluminum ducting -- like some I have seen for a drier (but bigger, of course). It was in the ducting section of Menards, not in the dryer accessories section. It's of a spiral (more accurately "helical," I guess) construction, with a crinkled appearance where successive turns overlap. As displayed in the store it was 4' or less long.

I did manage to ease it out to the required length (after throwing away several inches from each end, where some of these successive turns pulled apart) by bending -- not easy in the space between joists, floor above, and suspended ceiling grid -- and pulling gently. I'm sure there must be a more tedious and error-prone way, however -- in case I have to do the same again.

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Obviously I meant "a *less* tedious and error-prone way."

MB

I wrote:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

I would love to know too, or if there is something better. I always have trouble with the stuff.

Reply to
Alan