Strengthening copper pipe by filling with solid

A tube is considerably stronger than a solid rod of the same *weight* -- but considerably weaker than a solid rod of the same *diameter*.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Wood dowel would be my choice.

Reply to
Norminn

I needed a 12ft curtain rod, with heavy curtains. I used a

3/4" c> Jeff Wisnia wrote in
Reply to
Michael Baugh

How often?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Don't use premixed concrete, that wouldn't work. Use one part cement to 5 part clean sand (which now is concrete) that shouldn't have problem getting into the pipe along with some reinforcement like a #3 rebar.

Reply to
Fred

Copper comes in 20' joints although many of the retail places resell it in 10' (or shorter) lengths....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Goedjn

Fiberglass kits would be so easy for this project.

You can use just the liquid with the hardener added or you could fill the liquid with the fiberglass cut into small pieces for super strength. Either one will work.

Reply to
Sherman

Use the biggest pipe you can. SInce copper pipe typically comes in 10' lengths, you're probably going to need a connector in the middle. Hopefully, you can add a third support here.

Don't use Rebar. Run aircraft cable down the pipe, then fill the pipe with cement with fine aggregate. Then pre-stress the pipe with about a 1" camber, blocking it in place on the floor, and crank the shit out of the aircraft cable. Let this dry for about 3 days. When you put this up, set the camber so that it crowns up. In order for this arch to collapse, the ends have to move apart. If you can rigidly constrain them you MIGHT be ok. Be warned, however, that a weight on the top of a 1" high, 16' long arch has a huge mechanical advantage, so you're not going to resist the sideways thrust with a couple

10-penny-nails and a block of wood. You want big-ass steel brackets.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

I agree and the weight will be more than the tubing will hold w/o flexing, anyway methinks...

The tension rod idea might help some though...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The concrete isn't there as a beam-member, it's there mostly to keep the cable from moving around, and partly to keep the tube from collapsing. I do agree that there's a good chance this won't work, but it's the best I could come up with, given the constraints.

Reply to
Goedjn

Far better would be to satisfy that design criterion by using washers w/ a small hole in the middle on the cable to avoid the added weight....

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Jeff Wisnia wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Some areas have higher humidity that others.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

So, the curtain rod could then also power some nice mood lighting!

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

Considering the small diameter of hte tubing, won't the cement just crack with a little bump or stress? Your idea is far better than just filling the tubing, but it does not it seems as though there is much room for a strong shear section of concrete.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Dude

Think about this once. The purpose of copper (or any) pipe is to transfer water or another liquid. If you fill it with a solid, how in the hell is a liquid going to get thru?

You get an "F" in basic science.

Back to science class you go !!!

Reply to
here

pardon my dullwittedness, could you please clarify? You mean, lay it down on the floor, with one end an inch higher than the other? Secured thusly?

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas