strap antenna mast to chimney ??

Page 1 of 2
I am looking at putting up a Digital TV antenna on the outside of the house
Because the outside is brick, I can only see 2 solutions for the mast 1) Tripod base on roof 2) Strap mast to brick chimney
Is strapping a mast to the chimney a viable solution If so, what is the best way to do it ?
On 9/24/2012 9:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

Is this a trick question?
http://www.dennysantennaservice.com/1079225.html
On 9/24/2012 6:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

you can get a strap kit at home depot. unless you're going through hurricanes frequently, they're just fine if the chimney is in good shape.

Thanks Not yet sure it's going to be a permanent install. But the Chimney is in good shape and is actually a 3 chimney stack - Furnace + 2 fireplaces.

Thanks Not yet sure it's going to be a permanent install. But the Chimney is in good shape and is actually a 3 chimney stack - Furnace + 2 fireplaces.
Atila Iskander wrote:

Attic space not an option or eaves mount? How big and heavy is the antenna? There are various hardware kits available at places like RS.
(m'

This is the antenna that was given me (free) <http://www.antennasdirect.com/store/C2-Clearstream-DTV-antenna.html It's supposed to be used outdoor Indoor causes about 50% performance loss, so indoor is not an option. Also attic insulation includes aluminum foil, so it would be probably 100% loss of performance.
I can walk the roof to the chimney stack, Eaves would require 3 floor ladder or leaning over roof edge to attach (not interested)

Some still broadcast on VHF frequencies this antenna will not pick up. The numbers are small.
Greg
.........................................................SNIP..........................................................................................

Quite true.....the OP might want to go to www.tvfool.com and find out what "real frequency" their local channels are being broadcast on (versus the virtual channel numbers which mean nothing to the antenna). If any are real channel 2 thru 13 then a VHF/UHF combination antenna might be needed.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid )
SRN wrote:

.........................................................SNIP..........................................................................................
It all depends how far the transmitter is what the channels are VHF or UHF,etc. I home brewed a log periodic antenna measuring ~4 feet boom length and ~3 feet wide at longest element. It covers VHF/UHF bands. Installed in the attic of my cabin 70 miles away from the city. My cabin roof is metal standing rib. This antenna work pretty good. No need to worry about wind or lightning.
On 9/25/2012 9:57 PM, gregz wrote:

to DTV here all stations except one are now on UHF frequencies. It simplifies outdoor antennas so much...
On Wednesday, 26 September 2012 08:45:09 UTC-4, George wrote:

Doesn't it, though? Sure is nice to have a use for all those signal combiners we've got lying around.
But just to be extra, EXTRA ingenious, during the transitional phase, those same stations had their DTV signals on temporary UHF allocations. I mean, no sense having a testing phase that actually mimics the proposed final conditions, right?
Hey, let's add another really, really clever bit: in the country's largest market, let's make sure one of the stations whose signal will be reverting to VHF after everyone's put up their UHF-only antennas ... is the one sending out the TV Guide On-Screen signal!
Chip C Toronto

It was the local PBS stations which got all ready to go UHF, and the FCC came back and said they had to use channel 13. I think the station had the same feelings. I was talking to them at the time because I was doing some interference testing on building near antenna.
Greg

1) Not sure what you mean by "the numbers are small". 2) Hadn't noticed that the ClearStream was UHF only But I am currently picking up all channels with the Clearstream, indoors at ground level., including the two stations broadcasting in VHF (according to TVFool.com). So it should work even better higher up with no walls

Only one channel here on VHF that I know of.
Greg

Before there was cable, everyone had an antenna on the roof of their house. A t least half of those were fastened to the chimney by straps that went around the chimney. Rich folks used stainless steeel straps, poorer folks used ordinary iron straps that rusted after a couple of years. It was one way to see who had more money without having to ask. So, if you want to impress folks, be sure to get a mounting kit with stainless steel straps<g>.

If the chimney is in good shape, it is fine. There are strapping kits for that. Also if the pole goes to the roof, put a block of wood or other material between the roof and the pole to keep from cutting in to the roof.
One other thing to look at, if the antenna is on a chimney is how much the chimney is used and what is comming out of it. The gasses comming off the chimney may harm the antenna, rotator, or feed line.

Fireplaces not used at all. They're the old style where more heat goes up the flue than goes into the house The furnace and ho water heater are vented separately now Looking at putting high efficiency gas fireplace into one. A modern wood-burner stove in the other as a "just-in-case" heat backup.. A friend put one in his basement, and he can heat a whole 2 storey house with it. But those plans are not future projects.
On 9/24/2012 8:02 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

millions of tv antennas were mounted this way. There's a kit to do it. Google is your friend.
--
Steve Barker

Already did. Although I've never seen one in actual use that I remember But was worried about possible damage to chimney