Strange sprinkler installation.

Most sprinkler systems I've seen or dealt with have T's installed in the lateral PVC lines with the opening pointing up and the sprinkler heads screwed into that.
I just dug up part of my sprinkler system as I want to move a few sprinklers to add a patio. The way the builder put in the sprinklers (pop-ups) was with the a threaded T opening to the side, an L-shaped adapter screwed in with about a foot of black flex tubing running (parallel to the white PVC pipe) to a vertically oriented L joint and the sprinkler head screwed into that.
Is this a very good installation method? A very bad one? Or just a strange way of doing it? One plus is that it would seem to allow for a lot more flexibility in placing individual sprinklers. It would also seem to cost more for a new install and this builder was not known for spending on quality, to be diplomatic, hence my consternation..
TIA
It helps when installing.
http://www.rainbird.com/diy/products/accessories/sa_swingpipe.htm
--

Brian Dye

That method of installation is used to help preven damage when weight of some kind comes in contact with the sprinkler head. It allows for some "give" to the system.
I use it in my home installation.

It also allows you to install taller sprinklers than the pipe is deep. My system is only 6" deep allowing for 4" popups for the most part. That dosen't get the head above an uncut lawn sometimes. I plan to change to that configuration so I can use 8" popups and gear head sprinklers.
swatts wrote:

The flex tubing is to keep from breaking your pipe when the mower runs over a sprinkler head. We put in a few of those when hubby did repairs on our old, neglected condo's system.