Strange Screws

I think there are several suppliers with names ending in "inone". The place I got that screwdriver set (with a lot of strange bits, that I've posted about before) is called "mcminone".

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Strange how you have no such concerns with risking your data on a new drive without checking your powersupply/supply of power first.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

The exact same thing happened to me. I was copying stuff off one of my old Seagate HDD, and there is one file that XP can't read, saying ECC error. I ran Seatools on the drive and it identified 2 bad sectors with full diagnostic. I was able to get the file off the drive by having Seatools force a remapping of the bad sectors.

The remapped sectors are zeroed, so you're getting the file damaged, but it is better than not getting anything at all. The good thing is Seatools tries to identify and tell you which file is affected (although in short 8.3 name only), so you can decide if you want to risk it or not.

As for whether it will get worse, it depends on what caused the error. If it was just a transient glitch that caused the drive to make a bad write, it could be that it will develop no more error afterwards. If, say, the drive electronics is failing, you'll see more and more bad sectors (thus more clicking when you access previously-okay files). HDDs are cheap enough nowadays that I wouldn't risk my data on such a drive, but YMMV.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Lee -- post replies pl