Strange Screws

Well, they want 1000 dollars or more.
What about putting it in the freezer while I use it?
Would't the heat of the drive and the coldness of the freezer, or fridge, which I could adjust if someone gave me some guidance, keep it at a steady rather cold temp?
The flat wire is long enough, and the power wire can be any length I want it to be.

Nonsense. If it's clicking it means it does a rezero every time it retries a read operation. It does that on ECC errors and also on CRC errors on the interface. Neither is necessarily caused by a hardware failure. Bad power supply, overheated drive or bad data cable can cause this too.

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Every single time I've ever had a hard drive clicking it was caused by a failure of the drive, I've never even heard of it caused by those other issues, with the exception being a couple of early very hot running 10K rpm drives. Bad drive is 99% the reason.

So either you have a pathetically inadequate small sample or you are killing all your drives.

So you obviously should refrain from commen- ting as if you are the resident expert on this.

As if that can't happen to IDE drives.

In your case. You are known as a 'pathetically inadequate sample'.
David C. Partridge wrote:

From the picture, it's the screws that hold together the external case. Probably wants to upgrade the drive or put it in a different case.

Whoa. Someone actually *READ* the original post and looked at the linked picture.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm not sure now if it was Radio Shack or Sears-- but I bought a <$20 set that has about a dozen tips for jeweler's sized unusual screw heads. There are a couple Torx Plus tips in there & I've taken apart a bunch of hard drives with them. [I've been taking them apart to play with the magnets--- not as strong as I expected in the newer drives]
Curiosity got the best of me-- this isn't my set, but Sears has this 18pc set for $20; Sears item #00941709000 Mfr. model #63518 [no torx plus but a T6, T7, T8, & T9 size Torx]
Ah -- Here it is- Radio Shack, $15 Model: 64-2973 Catalog #: 64-2973 Kronus 20-Piece Electronics Bit-Driver Set
1 x Ergonomic Anti-Static Handle 4 x Slotted Bits (2, 2.5, 3, and 4mm) 2 x Phillips Bits (#00, and #0) 5 x Torx Bits (T-6, T-7, T-8, T-9, and T-10) 3 x Hex Bits (1.5, 2, and 2.5mm) 2 x POZI Bits (#00, and #0) 3 x Hex Round Ball Bits (1.5, 2, 2,5mm) 1 x Plastic Carrying Case
Especially for such an inexpensive set is is pretty well built except for the cheap plastic case.
Jim
[I've been taking them apart to play with the magnets--- not as strong as I expected in the newer drives]
magnets? in a hard drive?
wrench wrote:

Yes. Strong ones.
wrench wrote:

Yes, magnets in a hard drive. Part of the actuator.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Yes, a pair of very strong ones in the moving-coil assembly that forms the head actuator motor.
Arno

Voice Coil Assembly http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/op/actActuator.html
wrench wrote:

Take them out, give them to a child to play with, and the child will be bleeding inside five minutes.
Odie

NO! Do NOT do that.
Some of those magnets can crash together fast enough to shatter. If they shatter, the small pieces (also sharp), do not have enough mass to be strongly attracted to whatever is left of the magnet. They can fly away at very high velocity, and cause serious injuries (to eyes, for example).
Isaac
snipped-for-privacy@witzend.com says...

Also can cause death if ingested, google for the recent news reports of a toddler killed by magnets from Bionicle if I remember correctly, attracted to each other through neighboring bends in the child's intestine.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
wrench wrote:

Hard drives have very powerful neodymium magnets in the servo actuator for the read/write head assembly. You have to be careful not to pinch your fingers between them but they're cool to play with.

as I

has anyone ever pinched the fingers ? i bought some of these neodynium "warning extra strong" magnets from hardware store and skeptical i tried to pinch my fingers and have had no luck, well if that is the label to give such actions :)

I've practically tried to glue my fingers together with super-glue, and had no luck there either. :)

i suppose i am luckier than you for i have super'd my fingers together
but i was not trying

That doesn't work because of a weakness in the system. The outer layer of skin comes off too easily.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com