Strange Screws

well the ones i tried were small button type maybe 1/3" diameter and 1/8" thick they certainly were strong they hold more to the fridge than those crap magnets and prettier too

but i could not pinch anything with those :)

Reply to
Rob B

Nonsense. If it's clicking it means it does a rezero every time it retries a read operation. It does that on ECC errors and also on CRC errors on the interface. Neither is necessarily caused by a hardware failure. Bad power supply, overheated drive or bad data cable can cause this too.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

Please, do not use Reply-To addresses in attribution lines. Get a decent newsclient, or change your attribution line, like everyone else.

Who says.

Only if the sector is readable with retries. Unrecoverable read error bad sectors are only reallocated on writes.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

And another idiot with a broken newsclient showing Reply-To addresses.

And the 5 pointed star is a Torx too. There is no such thing as *the* "torx" screw.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

It was, until you gave it attention.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

Doesn't appear to include 5-pointed Torx, only 6-pointed.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

According to Mark Lloyd :

It looked like the April 2009 date was becoming much more solid than previous efforts (as much as your government can ever be), being brought up a few months from one of the two main proposals, and scheduled specifically to avoid a basketball game.

The remaining sticking point is some sort of fund that US Congress wants to form to subsidize digital->analog converters for those who won't/can't upgrade their tvs by then. Most people don't think the subsidy is high enough - the equipment doesn't exist yet.

You'll not be getting your illegal screwdrivers from Canada this time, unlike the organized toilet smuggling racket.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Keith Williams :

The only reason why we have phillips screwdrivers is because _you_ guys use 'em. If it wasn't for that southern influence, it'd all be Robertson or better. So, if you banned 'em, we'd probably all gladly toss our phillips drivers out.

Americans don't need a passport to come to Canada. The problem is getting _back_ into the US.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

AIUI the Robertson patent licenses were deemed too expensive. I've used Roberson head screws whenever possible for about thirty years. Unfortunately, they're not ubiquitous. Note, Robertsons aren't perfect (clutch and Torx are better, though more expensive).

BTW, I was referring to the 1.6Gal flush and "outlaw" toilets, not the screwdrivers.

Aw, you don't want us to go home? Well, that is sorta the problem. ;-)

Reply to
Keith Williams

According to Folkert Rienstra :

newsclient, or change

I assure you, trn 4 is a decent news reader, and substituting in the Reply-To for From: is actually the right thing to do if the attribution line is to have anything in it resembling the followup'd to user's address.

Spammers aren't stupid enough to ignore Reply-To headers - in fact, smart ones would be scraping them in _preference_ to From: headers.

And those that scrape the whole message (which is why you're worried about my attribution, right?) will scrape the reply-to _too_. So, you're shooting yourself in the foot far more than the occasional followup from someone using reasonable newsreader attribution defaults like me.

If you want to avoid Usenet scrapers, you need to not mention your real email address AT ALL, or munge it.

Eg: "folkertdashrienstra (at) wanadoo.nl", or " snipped-for-privacy@wanadoo.nl".

Reply-To is not a useful approach for evading Usenet email address scrapers. If you don't want to get it scraped, _don't_ imagine that Reply-To will hide it.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to Rob B :

The Lee Valley catalog has a variety of rare earth magnets from 1/4" to

1" in diameter. The 3/8 & 1/2" ones are great for fridge magnets.

The 1" ones are used for cargo strap tie-downs, which should give you an idea of how strong they are. Need special techniques for prying two of them apart. If they're allowed to come together unrestrained, they _will_ chip and throw chunks. I wouldn't want to get a small fold of skin between two of those!

[I have 5 of them, I just haven't gotten around to making the separation jig yet.]
Reply to
Chris Lewis

Exactly.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

According to Keith Williams :

There have been non-Robertson square drive screws and drivers available for quite some time. They're so interoperable it's seldom possible to tell them apart so we call them _all_ Robertson - but many of them aren't really. Patent-wise at least.

[Unlike the umpty-ump versions of Phillips which all behave noticably differently.]

Strictly speaking, McFeeley's (for example) sells square drive in the US, not Robertson.

Either way ;-)

Actually, it's US immigration that gets sticky about southward travel without a passport - even of their _own_ citizens. We're happy to be rid of you.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Careful! Outlawing stupidity, while highly desirable, would lead to chaos.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

Should work as well, agreed. Unless you want to make warranty claims afterwasrds ;-)

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

Interesting. What's the difference? I thought the patents ran out, which is why we're seeing them (for at least 30 years) in the States.

There are some that look like Phillips but are most certainly not. HP used a screw that looked like a Phillips, but wasn't (IIRC it had straight sides rather than curved). There were four radials stamped in the head indicating the special head. I don't remember the name of the head.

They may sell them, but aren't they still the "Robertson head"?

The "outlaw toilets" are outlawed in the US. Actually their sale is outlawed, hence the trip north (less than 50mi.) if I need to replace one.

"When toilets are outlawed, only outlaws will have toilets."

Understand.

Whew! That's what I thought.

;-)

Reply to
Keith Williams

Obviously not if it is straying from standard practice.

No, it is not.

Nonsense. Obviously Reply-To is for replying-to/following-up. Contributor attribution has nothing got to do with follow-up.

Any decent news/email client automatically uses the Reply-To from the header if you choose email reply (reply to sender) and reverts to From: if it is empty. No point whatsoever to use it in attribution lines. Any news/email client that relies on attribution lines for replies is obviously broken.

Practice says different.

Wrong. I don't want my Reply address used in bodies.

Nope, it is you who is shooting me in the foot.

If it was reasonable every other newsreader would use it. Guess what.

Or use that what was intended to use and isn't normally used in usenet bodies (not the header).

I told you not to use my Reply addres in usenet messages and here you go again. It's bloody obvious how to undo the spamtraps from that.

I don't imagine, you are. I just see what happens in practice.

Reply to
Folkert Rienstra

In article , snipped-for-privacy@phred.org (Joshua Putnam) writes: | In article , | snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.SPAMcom says... | > | > "John McGaw" wrote | > | > | > > If you want to buy Torx Plus tools you must, in theory anyway, be a | > > legitimate user as defined by Textron although if you know anyone who | > > works with them they should be pretty easily obtained at the cost of a | > > case of beer. ;-) | > | > | >

| | Doesn't appear to include 5-pointed Torx, only 6-pointed.

How about this:

(The SK84231 set is available from many sites, but this one had a short URL.)

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I have a screwdriver that comes with a lot of bits. It has standard, Phillips, Torx (no 5-pointed though) and square. Then there's some even stranger ones. There's one that looks like Phillips except the 4 points aren't quite aligned, and one with 3 points. Plus the security bits with the recess in the middle. And I almost forgot, some shaped like a bowtie.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It would. Also, it would require building a lot more prisons.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd