strange red spots on garage ceiling after Ivan

Had heavy water come sideways in through my ridge vents... went out to the car after the power went off and noticed what looked like a spot of blood on the garage floor. Flicked the flashlight up to the ceiling and saw these blood red spots. I grabbed my digital camera and am glad I did because the next morning there were big water spots but not these weird red drops...
I did go up the next day and there is nothing up there over the garage but the rafters and the back of the drywall.
Roof was replaced about two years ago and I have the roofing guy coming out to see if there is more problem than just Ivan.
Garage is 35 years old so I think this has to be exhaust condensation due to the supersaturation of the drywall.
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage.html http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage2.html
any other ideas? you ever see anything like this?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Some molds are red.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Parking car with leaky transmission on ceiling?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Looks like a mold/mildew bloom, to me.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Mold, bleach will kill it. You may have alot of hidden mold in the attic, look into leaks and venting.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I've seen stains like that on walls in my mother's former house. She was a heavy smoker and one day had a leak. The residue of years of smoking liquefied and then formed streaks like your first photo.
It could be exhaust particulates loosened from the ceiling surface by water but it could also be mold/mildew. To be safe I'd treat it with bleach.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
how would you tell if it were a mold - mildew - fungus? I suppose there is some way to test for it???
The attic appears clean and dry - well, dry until Ivan. I have an elaborate drain system in my basement and got water there too. First time I've ever seen water in the basement. My patio was about 12" deep at one point and I am the highest house in this area. Never seen so much water...
I had ridge vents installed with the new roof in Oct.2002.
r wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
If it is mold bleach will change its color to grey in about 2-5 minutes, put some in a spray bottle, spray away. Black mold can change to red or grey with bleach.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Sterling writes:

Is your house haunted?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Looking at the photos, it is not mold. Something appeared to have leached out of the drywall and evaporated by the next day. Seems oily as it didn't mix evenly with the water. Very odd something with such deep color would vanish without a trace. John
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JohnR wrote:

I did a deep search on mold and mould. The only info on RED mold I could find is Legionella and a powdery red mold that affects hops and bread (and a variety of molds about jello, cheese and candles). But mainly molds/moulds of any kind develop AFTER the water damage. Not during. Even read the whole EPA mold site.
I am now more of the opinion of "r" who wrote:

35 years of exhaust fumes...???
I tried spraying water on the walls of the garage but it just ran clear. I loaned out my ladder so I can't get to the ceiling to try it just yet.
And yes - these are really bad water spots on the ceiling now and the drywall is buckled and and abraded looking in a few spots showing it was really soaked but none of the red drops show. Did seemingly vanish. Drywall will probably have to be replaced. This was an AMAZING amount of water that came down via Ivan.
I saw where some of "the red" dripped on the plastic shelves at the end of the garage. I sprayed some water on these spots to see if I could "awaken" any smell, but can't find any. The spots were hard to liquefy and wipe up... dried a brownish red like dried blood.
If I had not gone out to the garage that night, I never would have seen it. It was all gone by the next morning. I would have been REALLY puzzled about the spots on the shelves though.
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage3.html is another shot...
>>http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage.html >>http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage2.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Water could have dissolved something like wood dust or insulation or (!) then leaked thru seams and nail holes in sheetrock. The darker red dots look like where the liquid dripped to the floor, then, over time, evaporated at those drip-spots, leaving a concentrate of the liquid, making it darker thru concentration. I doubt it is mold. If it is an organic liquid, whether mold or not, it will lighten up with bleach. Feel it , touch it, smell it. Prob. will give you a hint.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Roger wrote:

The color is nothing like red mold that I've seen in Florida, and mold doesn't grow as soon as a surface gets wet. Almost like something had accumulated on the ceiling - didja do a sanding project in the garage that produced a lot of dust? It is truly difficult to imagine something permeating from above and not leaving a ring on the ceiling??!? I'd take it easy on the "smell testing", if it should be residue of some critter living in the attic. You could touch it up, make it look like the madonna, and sell tickets :o)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Norminn wrote:

this seems logical - and keep in mind this was quite a lot of water. Does not seem to me that mold could grow while the water is pouring through.
Almost like something had

no, but I have only lived here since 1997 - house is 35 years old - the people I bought the house from did a lot of quality renovation here. New kitchen, refinished hardwood floors, quarry tile in kitchen, den, hall...He (or she) could have had some "interesting" project done in the garage.
They were transfered before they did anything to the garage. It needs painting and, now, new drywall on the ceiling. Had not thought about this.
It is truly difficult to imagine something

there ARE two BIG 3 - 4' dia. dark water spots - just no little red spots. The spots are bowing and I will probably have to replace the drywall. And there are red spots on the shelves beneath.
I'd

I did go up there the next day - difficult area to get to! and the backside of the drywall has no obvious stains nor is there any indication of nests, etc. No insulation there. Very clean - almost swept looking. Definitely NOTHING right above the spots BUT since the drops disappeared the next morning, anything above might have disappeared too. I did NOT go up into the attic while Ivan was pounding and the power was out...call me a wuss if you will.
You could touch it up, make it look like

I do hate a mystery that I can't solve.
http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage.html http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage2.html http://home.comcast.net/~sterhill/ceiling/garage3.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
From the photos, it looks more like an orange mold. And the spores could have already been there, waiting for water. With drywall being a very good substrate. http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/mold/Mold_TriFold.pdf

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.