Strange Problem with Kitchen Faucet/Water Filter HELP

Water worked fine up until about two weeks ago.

Kitchen faucet is two handle Moen. House is 30 years old but kitchen remodeled about a year ago. Copper water pipes throughout house.

Have GE dual filter water filtration system tapped into the cold water line with separate faucet for the filtered water mounted to sink.

Filters changed about 3 months ago (6 month lifecycle)

Everything worked fine until about two weeks ago when we noticed that when we turn on the cold water, it would run fine for about 10-15 seconds, then there would be a "clunk" in the line and the water would almost come to a complete stop (just a trickle of water coming out of the faucet).

If we turn the handle off, wait about 5 seconds and turn it back on, the water will again flow fine for about 10-15 secs then repeat the same problem with cutting off.

Same thing will happen if we just use the water filter faucet. However, if we turn *both* the filter faucet and cold water on at the same time, water will cut off to both in about 3-4 seconds.

Meanwhile, the hot water side works fine.

Cutting off the water line to the filter (it has a cutoff where it's tapped into the cold water line), has no effect. The cold water will still shut off with a clunk after 10-15 seconds.

No other water lines in the house has this problem.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Reply to
Max

Yeah, It's your sprayer control that is in the bottom of the faucet. Take it apart and you can usually spot the problem.

Reply to
deke

That would be my first guess, but he said the hot water works fine. Could be the filter cartridge though, is somewhat clogged giving a pressure drop and causing the spray diverter to block the line.

My first step would be to change the filter, then check the diverter, then the washer/cartridge for the cold water tap.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:24:44 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" graced this newsgroup with:

..that's correct the hot water is fine..never cuts off.

thanks. I'll go and change the cartridges and see if that works. However, why would the water still cut off if I cut off the water supply to the filter?

Reply to
Max

I'm not sure what you mean by cutting the water supply to the filter and still having water cut off. If you close the supply to the filter, you should be getting no flow? Does your filter housing have a top section that turns to shut the water off? Could be the problem there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 01:50:28 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" graced this newsgroup with:

there's a "T" valve that has a cut off to the filter. When open, the water flows from the main water line to both the faucet and the filter, The valve has a cut-off that will shut the flow of water off going to the filter but allow water to continue to the faucet.

This ensures no water goes to the filters if either there's a leak or when changing filters.

It's really nothing more than a three way valve under the sink.

Reply to
Max

Now I understand. Then I'd say the diverter or faucet cartridge is the culprit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski