strange problem with flourescent lights and switch

I have several sets of flourescent lights in my kitchen which up until tonight, were all controlled by a wall switch. Today, I replaced several of the tubes and now, when I turn the switch on/off, only some of the lights come on. There are several other switches in the kitchen which we have never used but now they turn on/off the lights NOT being controlled by the master switch!!

It seems insane but it seems that previously, all of the fixtures were on the same circuit and now poof, for some reason they have been separated into different ones. I didn't do anything else other than replace some bulbs..

Can anyone help?!! Thanks

Reply to
M Gazer

I am only guessing of course, but I suspect you have some improperly wired

3way switches and this problem is simply a coincidence with replacing the bulbs. Try both switches up, both down, etc, and see how the lights respond. And check to see if the switches say "off" and "on" on them; I bet they don't.

Either that, or you are crazy. What did you think the other switch was for before this happened?

Reply to
toller

Replacing tubes can not cause this. Best guess you did something else and your not telling us. Or are you just trolling?

Reply to
SQLit

Yeah, lying troll: Go f*ck yourself.

HTH.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

You have either installed the bulbs backwards or accidentally bought bulbs designed for the south hemisphere market. Check the box to see if they were made in Australia.

derrick

Reply to
FortyWatt

Nah mate; maybe he didn't put the tubes in right and has got only one pin 'in the socket' and the other pin, somewhere on one or both ends of a tube, the other pin touching the metal frame or summat? Either that and/or agree the post doesn't make sense. I also wonder if the metal fixtures are properly grounded? Concerning FLUORESCENT lighting; you should see my neighbours (I wonder why that word fluorescent is so often misspelt btw?) garage lights! The whole thing is so badly wired that I refuse to work on it!

Reply to
Terry

holy shit... what is with this "troll" thing??? I had a legitimate question and all of you toughguys are slagging me...

I replaced several more of the tubes today and still the lights only come on when I flick 2 switches as opposed to the one MAIN one previously..

Reply to
M Gazer

Well you are going to have to give more information. How many lamps do your have? How manyi other switches and what are they supposed to do? If you have never used the other switches I will guess that someone did some changes to the wiring somehow hooking them into the circuit.

Reply to
HRL

I th> I have several sets of flourescent lights in my kitchen which up until

Ok, how many sets? 2? 3? 4? They were controlled by 1 switch?

Experience, based on all information up until this point, tells me you didn't install the tube(s) correctly. Perhaps you didn't twist the tube to lock the pins into the contacts, or one of the pins missed the slot in the connector.

Ok, so you NEVER used these other switches? Why not? Did they not work? From this information, I don't know if you ever tried them. Are they standard switches? So they have "ON" or "OFF" on the handle?

Did you buy this house new? Is it possible someone messed with the wiring at some point in the recent to decent past? Perhaps some of the lights are connected to two three way switches, while others are not? Perhaps someone used a couple standard switches which you left on all the time?

There are several logic errors with your question. How many lights? How many switches? Why did you need to replace the tubes in the first place?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

That's you, fantasy boy.

Bullshit. Troll.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Check again after you sober up, or maybe in your case, after you get more drunk. If the other switch is right next to the first one, you are just seeing double from intoxication effects. In fact, I bet if you walk right up to the switch, and listen carefully, you will hear the switch say "Turn me on big guy".

Go ahead, give it a try......

--------------------

Reply to
holycow

Hey Mr . I-zheet M'drurz..... perhaps your "name" should be "I-fluck Me Mother"...

jerkoff..

Reply to
M Gazer

You notice nobody is answering your question, ya fuggin' liar.

What you describe doesn't happen, you made it up. That makes you a TROLL. Go away, lying sack of shit.

Still TRUE! ^^^^^

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz