Strange observations during a power outage

For same screen area, CRT uses the most power, plasma uses a little less, and LCD uses the least. Plasma TVs are big power consumers by generally being made in larger sizes.

Don Klipstein

On 3/30/2009 9:25 PM Don Klipstein spake thus:

Yes. I realized that was wrong after I sent that message.

So do you know the construction details of utility power transformers?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

There is something that a lot of folks don't realize as having detrimental effects on the power grid and the power distribution of homes and business. This has developed under our noses and most people never considered it. Asymmetrical loads from switching power supplies can damage older power transformers that were not designed to handle the harmonics produced by modern electronic equipment. It's hard to explain it to a lot of electricians because many of them have no electronics background. I found a link to a site with a lot of good information on the problem.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The difference between LCD and Plasma is subjective. AN LSC screen draws constant power while a Plasma draws varying power depending on the screen contents. Highest draw is all white screen (means all cells fired) while minimum draw is with black sctreen (no cells fired).

Actual AVERAGE power use is very similar for equal sized screens - and something just over half an equivalent CRT.

Remember also, Plasma is 42" and above (perhaps a few 37") while CRT generally maxes out ar 42" and LCD can go from 2" to 60 or more. So particularly with Plasma, the power is directly related to size, while less so with CRT and LCD.

Reply to
clare

I saw a recent episode of "How It's Made" and they showed the construction of a power transformer.

G.S.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

how its made, dirty jobs, air emergency, deconstruction some of my favorite shows.

all on cable networks...........

Reply to
bob haller

I still remember that summer afternoon in 1985 when a young IRS gal was sitting in our third floor offices conducting an audit. She had been there a couple of days and "so far so good". We were getting along fine, perhaps because in chatting we'd learned that her dad was an alumnus of the same college I'd graduated from.

Anyway, a window was open next where she was sitting. The skies darkened, followed shortly by a a crack of lightening and a "boom" as a pole transformer not far from that open window exploded. The building lights went out and some sort of alarm started howling.

It was the Devil who made me do it, but I stuck my head out the window, looked up and yelled, "About twenty feet to the left, God."

(Yes, we passed the audit with flying colors.)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia