Strange gutter configuration

Page 2 of 3
" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote:

What a maroon you are.
I have several hotmail and yahoo "throw-away" accounts. I used one of them 5+ years ago to register for a free fileden account. If I want to post any files or pics for others to download, I use fileden. If any spam comes to those throw-away hotmail or yahoo accounts because I used them to register for fileden - what do I care?
If you value your hotmail or yahoo e-mail addresses, then go and get yourself a hushmail.com e-mail account. You don't have to supply hushmail with a "validation" account in the process.
Go and register " snipped-for-privacy@hushmail.com", then use that as a validation account for file-hosting sites like fileden or tinypic.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 15, 12:05 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

It appears that you can't backpedal and read at the same time.
1 - Many sites require *no registration*. You can't get spammed if you don't register.
2 - Even if you find a site that requires registration, use a throwaway email address and fake personal data. Who cares if they spam...
i_never_read_mail_in_this_account@pick_a_domain.com
If you don't want to post a picture and possibly learn something about gutters and fake rafters, then just say so. All the other excuses are a waste of time.
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 15, 1:07 am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

www.tinypic.com www.photobucket.com
I could go on...
Add pictures here
✖

Install apache. Open firewall for whatever port it configured to use.
✖

Works for me...
I quote from page:
Hanger Alum 5" Standard K Style Hidden with Clip 1000 Pieces
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/14/2011 2:37 PM, RicodJour wrote:

any? maybe you can, but on some roofs it wouldn't do much good to do so.
http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss312/chaniarts/House/IMG_4340.jpg
> > Neither would be as cheap and easy to install as fascia hung K- > section, but that's neither here nor there. > > R
Add pictures here
✖

I see parapet walls. Where's the roof I'm supposed to hang gutters off of? ;)
✖
On 10/17/2011 8:17 PM, RicodJour wrote:

inside the parapets. there is no roof edge. you stated
>> You can hang gutters off of any roof.
this is demonstrably false. maybe most, or some, not 'any'.
Add pictures here
✖

You parse things oddly. I'm surprised you didn't post a picture of a palapa or something.
But, yes, I could put gutters on that house, though why anyone would want to, I don't know. It would make more sense to just install leader/gutter heads and be done with it. But again, I don't know why anyone would want to or if there's even a need.
http://www.guttersupply.com/p-ornamental-conductor-head-copper.gstml
My response was to someone saying that they _wanted_ gutters on their house but it was impossible due to the steep roof pitch or some such. I called bullshit and and provided options on how to do it.
✖

If by relatively new you mean thousands of years old, yes, you are correct. Back in the day collecting rainwater was easy way to get drinking water.
In your neck of the woods, where purportedly it rains 366 days a year, this probably wasn't so much of a question.
Gutters and rainwater collection should be mandatory for a number of reasons, disaster preparedness not the least of them.
✖

But I'm not talking about choosing to have *no* gutters, I'm talking about 99% of the house having gutters, just not over this window. I can only assume that it's for aesthetic purposes.
The way I see it is that if someone is in the camp that feels that gutters are worthwhile to have, why pick one window to not have them over - considering the extra work required to install 2 sections with 2 downspouts instead of just one long section and one downspout. In addition, you now have to deal the water coming from 2 downspouts, not one. Might not be a major issue, but still something that has to be dealt with.
Just seems a little odd, to me at least.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:58:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

the extended roofline to divert the water out past the window and that didn't work, so they put gutters on???
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 15, 2:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hmmm...that doesn't make sense based on what I wrote.
The extended roof line is still there over the window - but just over the window. The gutters are on the both sides of that extended roof line, so they don't collect the water flowing over the window anyway.
Let's compromise:
Maybe there were no gutters originally and they settled on 85% coverage of that wall because it would have been hard/ugly to put a gutter on the small section of roof that extends over the window.
That possibility has merit.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm curious to see this gutterless window. Can you see the side of the dormer from the street, or is it head on? Post a picture of the roof/window in question.
I hear you can post pictures for free without registration, so don't worry about the spam. ;)
✖

Don't take this the wrong way...although there really is only one way to take it...
When you mentioned "dormer" earlier on in this thread, I posted a link to picture of a similar structure that shows that there is no dormer associated with this window.
Now here you are, asking about the dormer again. So once again: There is no gutter associated with this window.
Here's what I said last week:
*** Begin Included Text ***
As a visual, pretend that the "garage" in this picture is 2 stories and that the window is on the second floor.
http://www.thecountrytree.com/pictures/gable280.gif
Now pretend that there is a gutter and downspout on each side of the window, but not over the window. Over the window, the roof is extended to at least the same plane as the front of the gutters so water wouldn't be running down the front of the window itself, but would flow out and down.
*** End Included Text ***
For me to take a picture of the house in question, it'll take pulling over on the way to/from work and seeing if there is a spot that I can get a decent picture from.
It's not an overly busy street, but it's definitely a "no parking" street, so I'll make sure I have my walking shoes with me. I'll leave the stilettos in the car.
http://photos.signonsandiego.com/albums/high-heels/ppHighHeels291144x006.jpg
Add pictures here
✖

Well, now we are finally on the same page! That is exactly what prompted me to post about the situation in the first place.
I'll see what I can do about a picture, although it's often dark when I leave work and that street is pretty busy during the morning commute, so just pulling over and snapping a few pictures will be an adventure.

Add pictures here
✖

I'm assuming by your surprise, and reading between the lines, that the window in question is in a dormer of some sort, and that it has a flat roof, and not a gable, pitched in the same direction as the main roof.
The question is - how much roof is above that window, and have diverters been installed to direct the water towards either side?
✖

Either I should have been clearer or you shouldn't have read between the lines.
Why would I have been suprised by a roof/gutter system that directed water into the gutters as opposed to letting it flow off the roof over the window and onto the ground? We see those types of systems everyday, depending on the style of roof, so there would have been no reason for me to post about it.
As a visual, pretend that the "garage" in this picture is 2 stories and that the window is on the second floor.
http://www.thecountrytree.com/pictures/gable280.gif
Now pretend that there is a gutter and downspout on each side of the window, but not over the window. Over the window, the roof is extended to at least the same plane as the front of the gutters so water wouldn't be running down the front of the window itself, but would flow out and down.
My only point is that they installed gutters everywhere else on the house but chose not to use gutters over this window for (I assume) aesthetic purposes. Why else would they have gone through the trouble of the extra downspout and extended roof if it wasn't just for looks?
Serious question: If it wasn't for aesthetics, can you think of a reason why they would want the water from over that window to reach the ground directly?
Add pictures here
✖

Other than aesthetics, there is no reason. The window was designed that way, probably for the same reason people install artificial waterfalls. Someone likes to sit in that window during a rain storm and watch the water fall off the roof. Could be someone with special needs like autism for all we know.
A short section of roof dripping is not going to cause a flooded basement if the rest of the roof is diverted properly with gutters. Of course they could have taken further precautions with this section of wall by installing a drain directly below.
Maybe you can catch someone in the front yard as you pass by sometime. Compliment them on the beautiful house and how that particular architectural feature fascinates you.
Add pictures here
✖

Lacking a picture and based on your general description, who knows?
My question was if you you could see the roof above that dormer has diverters. They're not always visible from the ground, they don't stand up much, and if the roofer was doing his job he'd have used the correct color flashing so that the diverters would blend in with the shingles. The diverter could be set back from the edge, right? In fact it should/has to be.
They might have skipped the diverter and gutter, they might have build in a concealed gutter system (you said the house was high end, right?), etc.
More information => better answers.
✖