Strange gutter configuration

Page 1 of 3
As I was driving to work today I noticed a strange gutter configuration on a house.
I'll classify the house as "high end"...several thousand square feet, all brick, nice dormers, landscaping, etc. It was a really nice house in an expensive neighborhood. I couldn't tell just by driving by if it was fairly new or decades old.
The section of the house that contained the garage and rooms above was at a right angle to main house. On the side of that garage section there was a single window on the second floor, right in the middle.
There was a section of gutter and a downspout on the right and left of the window, but over the window itself the roof extended out creating a slight overhang. There was no gutter over the window.
It looked OK...nice and symmetrical - even lengths of gutters and a downspout at the ends away from the window.
However, I have to question the decision to leave a ~4' section of roof without a gutter. The sides of the main house also has windows on the second floor, but on that section they use a single length of gutter for the entire side.
Would you, for apparently aesthetics reasons only, leave a section of a roof without gutters?
(No, at this point, I do not know what is below the section without the gutter, i.e. blacktop, bushes, etc. I'll have to see if I can find out without getting arrested for trespassing.)
On 10/14/2011 9:17 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

What's so bad about that? Heck, we don't have gutters at all....

Which for many houses would lead to a slow and prolonged death, highlighted by short periods of flooding to break up the monotony.
On 10/14/2011 11:03 AM, RicodJour wrote:

Well, there are many here which are at least approach 100 like ours that haven't suffered such fates...all depends on the climate and locale.
Certainly, even back where it did rain when in TN/VA I'd think little of a short section being likely to be a major disaster.

The house in question is in Western NY where the average rainfall is ~33 inches/year.

Our average annual rainfall is 53". Due to the design of the house, gutters aren't possible. I'd like to have done something over the entrance. Water coming off the 12/12 pitch roof isn't fun to walk through and the valley between the garage (15/12) and house can get pretty intense.
OTOH, the elevation is good (lot slopes ~8' down to the street, from the house) and it's on a slab, as almost all houses here are.
On Oct 14, 2:54pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

You can hang gutters off of any roof. It just depends on the bracket and the type of gutter. You could also install Yankee gutters. You used to live in New England, so I'm sure you are familiar with them.
Neither would be as cheap and easy to install as fascia hung K- section, but that's neither here nor there.

Wrong, Rico, as usual. The house has exposed ornamental (fake) rafter-ends. No sofit, no fascia. There is nothing to anchor the gutters to but a sky hook.

The bug up your ass has reached your brain.
Half round gutters. http://www.oldworldgutter.com/products_gutter_6.html
http://www.oldworldgutter.com/Gutter/gutter6.gif
and http://www.guttersupply.com/p-Stainless-Steel-Half-Round-Gutter-Hangers.gstml
Want K-section gutters? Seventh one down: http://www.egutter.com/RAIN-GUTTERS-GUTTER-SUPPLY/Hanger-Aluminum-K-Style "Hanger Alum 5" K Style Wraparound White Installs 5" K Style gutter to roof with this 5" Wraparound hanger bracket. Special riveted roof strap enable gutter installation where slanted or no fascia exist. Available in White and Royal Brown only."
Want rafter attachment instead of roof? http://www.guttersupply.com/m-copper-shanks-11.gstml
You can ask questions, too. This is how we learn - not by saying something is not possible.

You're still batting zero, Rico. ...not that anyone is surprised.

Page not found.

Nope. Not going to work either.

Don't wake up. People would fall out of their chairs.
On Oct 14, 11:28pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Anybody else having problems opening that page?

http://www.amerimax.com/faqs.asp#30 "30. HOW DO I INSTALL GUTTER IF I HAVE NO FASCIA BOARD? Use a hanger with roof strap."
You know - just like those three links I provided. Sheesh.
Tell you what, kemosabe, post a picture of your roof edge and I'll design the gutter system for you at no charge. Let's see what you consider impossible.

A 24" roof strap? ...into what? No thanks. Holes in roofs aren't my "thing".

Text only NG.

So post it on a binary group. Or the web.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Nope. My NNTP server doesn't carry them.

...and get spammed for the rest of eternity? No thanks.
On Oct 15, 10:08am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Perhaps you've never heard of this technique:
Don't use your real information when using image hosting sites on the web.
BTW...as far as I know, tinypic requires no registration, therefore there's no way to get spammed.

Tried one, once. GOt spammed for years. No thanks.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

--

dadiOH

I'm lying right now.
On Oct 15, 10:08am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Be careful. When you backpedal that quickly your chain is apt to become jammed.

No backpedal at all. I'm not about to register for some "free" site. TANSTAAFL.