Strange freezer fan actions.

Hi I have a GE side by side refrigerator with ice cube maker. The freezer fan has been cycling what seems to be on and off or fast and slow about every few seconds making a winning sound that you can hear with the door closed. The freezer still is functioning properly. It only started happening in the last few months. Is this normal or does the fan need to be replaced.

Reply to
Steve

I just fought and won that battle, my first thought was the fan, but it passed a bench test with flying colors. I replaced both defrost thermostats, (bear to get at) still no joy, then the defrost timer, apparently that was it. I took the old one apart and the points were fried. Both of those control current to the fan, at least on the non circuit board (older) models. Bottom line was I saved a $6k Monogram for $35.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Mine did this after taking a knock from the drawer. I pulled it out, and found its bearing had been knocked off centre, creating friction & noise. Re-lube & reassembly fixed it straight away. Might want to try this before buying parts.

Reply to
glenn P