Strange faucet behavior

Strange to me, anyway. Nary, nary a plumber.
I got a old kitchen faucet, washer-type (or compression) very similar to the one depicted at:
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/learning/how-to-repair-faucets.aspx
I turn the hot to, say, 30% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 10%, eventually stops altogether.
I turn the hot to, say, 70% of flow. It very slowly creeps back to maybe 40% or less.
Figgered it had to do with the water going from cold to hot, but it does pretty much the same when the water at the faucet has already reached full temperature.
Any ideas?
TIA Puddin'
Puddin' Man wrote:

Can't view that page here, but my guess is that loose stem packing is allowing the water pressure / flow to rotate the valve.

1.) The packing is just O-ring(s).
2.) The mechanism threads straight down in the usual fashion (clockwise to close/shut-off). If your guess were accurate, wouldn't it increase rather than decrease flow?
Do you meant that the handle is actually turning? If that's the case, I have no idea.
If not, maybe the wrong kind of washer, and it gets compressed when the faucet is closed and slowly expands after it's opened?

No, I've not seen the handle actually turn.

Loose washer screw. Possible, I suppose, tho you'd think the water pressure would hold it up?
The washer that's in it has been in service a long time. Used to work fine.
On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 15:04:23 -0800 (PST), Larry Fishel

    I believe you get the prize. I would call that expansion "rebound" so it might be easier to understand.

I have experienced this and believe it is due to expansion of the washer and stem from the heat. Some faucets and washers seem to be more prone to this and wear in the threads might be a factor.
Don Young

Change the valves as they are properly worn how old are they , also are they opened or closed when you put them in .
Puddin' Man wrote:

it's the washer swelling up. pretty normal for that type of seal.