Strange electrical wiring situation

We just purchased a home and had mixed color electrical outlets (in the same room!!)and am replacing them with only 1 color. The first outlet was wired very strangely. There were 1 Romax wire sets going into the box. Both black were put together with a pigtail running to the hot one outlet. The 2 whites were run to the other outlet, one to hot and one to neutral, and the connection between the 2 hots was removed. Anyone have any idea why this would be run this way? I took off the pigtail and kept the 2 blacks together and just used the 2 whites to power the whole outlet. All the other outlets were normal. So far this is the only outlet like this. The lights are on a separate circuit.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

The weird set of wires probably go to a wall switch somewhere and form a "switch loop" -- half of the duplex outlet was controlled by the switch.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

And that removed tab is very important!

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If so, the switch is not in the same room. The light switch in the room is on a different circuit and both sides of the outlet are off with the same breaker. Unfortunately, all 3 bedrooms are on the same breaker. One room will be the computer room and right now the laser printer is quite a drain. I will have to wire in 2 more circuits for the computers.

-- Mike D.

Remove .spamnot to respond by email

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Some houses are wired with a Christmas circuit, a switch or switches controlls outlets under windows for candles.

Reply to
TimS

On a wall opposite the window. Again, unless there is a switch hiding somewhere, . . .

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Did the old outlet have a piece of metal removed between the two screws on the HOT side? If it did, it WAS hooked to a switch. Proper wiring would require that white wire be painted black (usually just a piece of black tape). Of course many electricians skip that step.

(My preference is a black permanent marker).

Go look at the original switch and tell us!!!

Maybe the switch was covered up too ????

Reply to
me