Strange electrical problem

You might be right. Let us know what your test reveals

Reply to
RBM

It's obviously a pain in the ass. I'd remove the load from the attic unit and pigtail it onto the line to prevent future mishaps, just be sure it's not tied to any non gfci outlets that do need to be protected

Reply to
RBM

Yes, and some of them (such as the one at

are free.

Reply to
Sam E
[snip]

We're sorry, but the nine copies of your post are insufficient :-) Continue to post it at least 32 times, and then you may get a response.

Reply to
Harry

He should first measure the voltage between hot and ground or he may burn out his continuity tester, and may knock himself off the ladder when the thing gives a big spark.

Unless he is positive he knows which wire is supposed to be the neutral, he should also have tested for voltage between the "neutral" and ground also before he used a continuity tester between the two. Same reason.

Reply to
mm

There is no voltage. The circuit is dead

Reply to
RBM

For safety, turn off the breaker anyway.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The hot wire is dead or the neutral is open, but he hasn't checked that both of these things are true.

Reply to
mm

You apparently don't have a clue about software. Using the Google Groups web interface, I clicked on send and it came back saying the post was not successful due to a server problem and I should try later. I tried a few more times over a period of two hours with the same result. Today I came in and tried once more and was successful with a single click. I hope the multiple posts haven't caused you too much stress. I'd hate to think that you need counseling now.

Reply to
computernerd12345
[snip]

since you don't know any better. Now you do.

And you didn't even READ the group for awhile to see if it went through.

Also, Google is good for searching for things. It's NOT that good for posting. How about getting a real newsreader / server account?

Suggesting the usual immature refusal to accept responsibility for your actions.

Reply to
Sam E

at

are free.

Who do you suggest as the newsserver, though???

Reply to
dpb

Many large ISPs offer that as part of their service. Check with yours.

Reply to
Doug Miller

at

are free.

aioe.org

Reply to
Terry

at

are free.

See if your ISP provides one. Many do, and it's free. Look on the ISP's website for information.

The server name is often something like:

news..net

where is your ISP's name, same as in email servers. "net" may be "com" in your case.

Note that newsgroups is a much older use of the internet than the world wide web is.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

He was kidding you. It was not hilarious, but it was funny.

He even put in a smiley, which I don't even think was necessary. It was obviously a joke. Learn to take a joke.

BTW, it is much easier to read Usenet directly. Besides the other one recommended, Agent can be used in free and paid mode. You may already have newsgroups on the ISP you use, or you can subscribe using any ISP for about 10 dollars a year iirc.

Reply to
mm

Nope... Went away and appears to not be going to return. :(

Reply to
dpb

wrote: ...

Nope... Went away and appears to not be going to return. :(

Reply to
dpb

at

are free.

Kewl...thanks...

Reply to
dpb

Well, there are lots of them around, most at fairly modest cost -- and in conjunction with decent news client software, any of them provides an interface to Usenet that's *much* easier to use than Google's.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, DOH!!!! Why didn't I think of that? :(

Reply to
dpb