stranded wire

I've got a bit of rewiring to do in some tight spots (porch lights).

12-3 solid wire is always such a pain to work with I was thinking of using some of the rubber coated stranded wire (still 12-3). In the past I've used that extensively outdoors. Is there any reason to not use it in wall for short runs?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I don't think it is approved code wise.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You can't use rubber coated service cord or the like (SJ, SO, etc.) in wall. You can use a conduit and pull individual stranded conductors (THHN generically, most these days meets a lot of different specs.).

Reply to
Pete C.

Stranded conductor rubber cord dries out over time, and would become a real fire hazard inside of a wall, which is probably why it's not approved

Reply to
RBM

12 ga is to much for regular lighting. 14 is easier to work with.
Reply to
ransley

As long as it's properly rated and not just grabbed from extension cords, etc, that would be OK. Just be sure to get the real thing; it's usually right next to the solid wire on the store shelves with other residential wiring.

I don't think you want stranded, though. If it's tight spaces, you're going to wish it was solid when you try to finish the installation and be certain all the strands made it into the connection (wirenuts, etc.). When we lived in Chgo I rewired a home with conduit & stranded wire salvaged from a factory and I had to tin-solder each end to get it to easily install into wirenuts & attach to fixtures, pig tails, etc..

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Bzzzt, wrong.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Thanks. I've got one line where I spliced in some SO to go about a foot to the new lamp location. I'll do the other in solid now that I know.

Do you know what the restrictions are for SO/SJ? Can I run it along a baseboard or to a GD? Snow caps or other crimp connectors OK?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

You know you can't have a splice behind a wall either, right? Got to be in a box.

Reply to
jamesgangnc