Straightening ceiling fan blades

Page 1 of 2
We put some fans out on our patio. Over a few years, the blades have drooped. These blades appear to be some type of luan, about 3/16" wide. They appear to be either composite plastic, or some form of pulped wood.
Can they be straightened? Maybe put in an oven with some brick weights, and a pan of water to make a steam chamber out of it? Other suggestions?
If I go buy new ones, are there different materials and grades? The local ReStore, (the one for Habitat for Humanity) has sets of 5 for $3, and I'll take them Wednesday when I go to see if the bolt pattern is the same. But just wondering if these can be salvaged.
Steve

Lot of times the mount is symetrical. If so just flip them.
On 05/16/2011 10:18 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:

As a point of reference, see also the following, which was posted in a.h.r about 2 1/2 years ago.
http://www.diy-forum.net/scariest-thing-your-house-t151205.html

Trying to "straighten" fan blades once they sag due to exposure to excessive moisture is a fool's errand...
So is trying to bake them in your oven with bricks on top of them...
As far as buying new fan blades at your local ReStore you should only be concerned with the length and weight of the replacement blades, you can drill additional holes using your current fan blades as templates, but you don't want to hang too much weight or add too much load (larger blades produce more drag requiring more effort on the motor) to your fan unless you want to be replacing the whole thing sooner rather than later...
~~ Evan
Steve B wrote:

Turn them over.
Most nowadays seem to be made of fiberboard (hardboard, masonite (your "pulped wood") which is *NOT* lauan. Any plywood, including lauan, works pretty good, ditto plastic and steel. Fiberboard does not especially if there is much humidity.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I'd be tempted to see if you can get new ones of fiberglass or plastic. They're typically just a piece of flat stock with three holes drilled in them. If you're handy and have a source for some suitable stock you can make them yourself. Or have some made from Damascus steel :)
nate

Took a few years to sag. Flip them and he'll get that again minimum. Making blades is just silly unless you have nothing better to do and all the purchased ones will probably have the same problem eventually.

I've had a fairly inexpensive fan in my kitchen for over 20 years and the blades have not sagged one iota.
(I say "fairly inexpensive" because I remember thinking at the time that my wife bought it "This is too cheap to last very long, but I'll make her happy and put it up. Boy, was I wrong!)
The blades are indeed some type of pressed material. I know this because I was trying to clean them once and the ultra thin layer of paint started to wipe off and exposed the material underneath.
I primed and painted them to make them white again. Maybe that's why they never sagged.
Perhaps that would be a good preventative maintenance step to take before installing a fan.

His sagged because he has it on a porch where the humidity probably gets high from time to time.

designed for outdoor use. Anything else will be a waste.
Charlie wrote:

They may well be a waste too.
I got 3 fans designated for that use. All three wound up with sagging blades. Fiberboard. Two were so bad they looked like open umbrellas. I made new blades from 1/4 ply, no sagging.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Well, if you made your own blades, then according to jamesgangnc you:
1 - Are either silly, or 2 - You have nothing better to do.
Not that I'm trying to start anything...
;-)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Of COURSE not :)
jamesgangnc forgot
3. Frugal 4. I can make 'em better
--

dadiOH
____________________________

I've got one in a lanai that was installed in 1998 that is still going just fine. The room is essentialy open to the outdors in humid Florida. Blades are plastic. You have to pay attention to what you are buying.
Charlie
Caveat emptor

Oh yeah. Great. NOW you tell me. ;-)
When SWMBO insisted that the fans would be fine outdoors even though they were obviously indoor fans, if was one of those, "We'll see" moments. So far, one's blades droop by two inches, the other is in danger of taking off Aunt Lucy's big hair.
I will get two sets at ReStore at $3 per set, and see how long they last, and in the meantime look for some that are intended for outdoor use. I've even seen indoor sets that droop.
And then there's balancing .................................
Thanks for the info, guys.
Steve
Heart surgery pending? www.cabgbypasssurgery.com Heart Surgery Survival Guide

When you buy the blades, will you also be buying the mounting brackets?
Even if the mounting brackets line up with the holes in your motor, the angle may be an issue.
Cheaper fans use low blade angles so they can use a cheaper motor. Increasing the blade anlge might cost you more a lot more than $3 a set.

A fool's errand can oft times be fun.
A little time in the shop making/fixing something that you might otherwise buy can be very therapeutic.
Which feels better:
Saying "I made/fixed that." or saying "I bought that."?
On Tue, 17 May 2011 10:10:41 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

you were just foolish. If it doesn't work and you made it you are foolish AND incompetent - - - - - .
On Tue, 17 May 2011 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

harm most of the ceiling fan motors out there.
On May 17, 10:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Here's the llink to one of the many, many sites that stress the relationship between blade size/angle and the power of the motor:
http://www.lampdepot.com/ProductCartPages/page111.htm
I quote...
The most powerful, durable and expensive motor is a "Stack" or "K55" style motor. ... The power allows for 14 - 16 degree blade pitch and use of wider blades so you get more air movement. ... Low Grade promotional fans use small motors to move narrow blades at near 10 degree pitches. The result is much lower air movement. Often having lifetime warranties.
Fan ratings : Performance, Medium, Moderate, Promotional
Performance 14 -16 blade degree --- Stack or 188x20 motors Medium 12 - 14 blade degree --- 188x12+ , or 172x14+ motors Moderate 10 - 12 blade degree --- 153x15 motors Promotional 8 -12 blade degree --- 153x13 or less