STP in gas for gas powered golf cart?

Golf cart has decided not to start since I put a full tank of gas in. Local suggested putting STP in the gas. Thoughts from those who understand this stuff?

TIA

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I'd want to check for spark, first.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd try a can of Heet first -- sounds like you may have gotten some water with the gas.

Also, I'd like to clarify that if you put any STP product in your gas, it should be STP *Gas* Treatment -- the product colloquially known as simply "STP" is STP *Oil* Treatment, which of course has no business in your fuel tank. If the person who suggested that actually meant that you should be using STP Oil Treatment in your fuel, ignore everything he ever tells you about anything mechanical.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If the engine will not crank STP will not fix it.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

And your point is -- ?

He said it wouldn't start, not that it wouldn't crank.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Thanks for the reminder. He did not specify.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Hmm. This kind of engine has never "cranked" it always starts instantly. I am going to check the battery and the plug.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Was old gas in it, the carb holds enough gas to usualy run the motor for a few minutes so treating the tank wont get it started if the carb is full of old bad gas. Dropping the float bowl will remove bad gas. Either starting fluid should start it then you could run out bad gas, but see if plug sparks first, maybe its even flooded or the plug is bad and fouled. Checking a plug can tell you alot about a motors condition. STP to me means oil treatment. Alcohol to me means Heat, I buy and use Alcohol by the gallon, its cheaper than gas treatments like Heat for bad or old gas. But Spark is first, maybe some saftey or other issue is not getting you any spark.

Reply to
ransley

Quite frankly I can't think of how STP in the fuel is going to help any engine start. It might be argued that STP might help a running engine, but if the engine is not starting, what would STP in the fuel do other than maybe help the gas tank?

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

Thanks

Lou