stove pipe in chimney

Can I place stove pipe in a brick chimney? Nothing is connected to the chimney.

Reply to
Adiabatic

first you must get the chimey inspected from inside camera to assure its not a fire hazard. lined or unlined?condition? hows the chimney cap and overall condition espically at the top?

Reply to
hallerb

Haller,

Once the OP knows the condition of the chimney how will you then answer his question? My interpretation of his question is that he is routing his stove pipe up an old chimney and the stove pipe will enclose the hot gases so the condition of the chimney cap and the question of lining seem moot. I'd be concerned about the flammable dirt which may be in the chimney. I'd also be concerned about poor maintenance, in the future, of the stove pipe, since "out of sight is out of mind".

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

WE are going through the same issue, we have a flue lined block chimney. I wanted to use it for the woodstove. We can't because our furnace also uses the chimney. But if I purchase a direct vent furnace then I can use the chimney. We would be running the stove pipe up the chimney and this would cause NO problems. But you still have to maintain the stove pipe once a year. See if I run the stove pipe up the chimney I can save a bundle of money, if I have to run stove up along side the chimney I would have to buy double walled chrome pipe, and thats 85 bucks a 3' piece. Regular pipe is only about 10 bucks a piece. You do the math, furnace would be about 500 more or stove pipe would be about 1300 more. Hmmm

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

I believe that stainless steel "liner" may be required for this. It is expensive also, but worth the $ in safety and saved maintainence. Creosote, produced by burning wood, is corrosive and will destroy regular steel pipe. Since it is hidden, problems will not be obvious.

Bob

Reply to
Bob