Stove cleaning question

We have a 1 year old gas stove, with a non-removable top. The burner area has black buildup that doesn't come off - burnt food and stuff. How can this be removed without damaging the finish of the stove?
Ook wrote:

Try an oven cleaner.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Easy Off has some new stuff, that my Dad really raves about. Probably three bucks a can, follow the directions. I think he said it too half an hour or so to really get working.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.