Storm door handle broken

ok, my storm door handle is broken, and i would like to fix it myself. how would i do that?
On Mar 6, 5:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com wrote:

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, True Value, etc. Buy a phillips screwdriver and a handle that matches your old one, both in color and style. Can't help you much more than that.
Jk
On 6 Mar 2007 15:33:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com wrote:

My book shelf is broken and I would like to fix that. How would I do that?

Open yellow pages (that's a phone book).
Look up "Hardware"
Visit hardware store. Bring as much of the mechanism with you as you can. Maybe take a digital picture of the handle area of the door to show the people.

i've already taken it apart, and to a hardware store. it's going to cost $50 to replace it. i was hoping i could just fix it myself, the mechanism in it is bad or something, the guy wasn't very helpful at the store, and nobody else was around. :) i've looked at other handles too but they won't work with the holes already in the door. i guess if i could would it be wise to drill new holes? and if i did how would i cover up the old holes?
On Mar 6, 7:28 pm, snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com wrote:

Wow, and I thought Home Depot was expensive. $50 for a storm door handle! Geez. You can get a whole storm door at my local Home Depot for $88
Seriously though. Sounds like you might not have the garden variety storm door or handle. Try to find a name somewhere of a manufacturer of the door. Then you might be able to do a Google search for hardware that matches your door better.
JK
snipped-for-privacy@cinci.rr.com wrote:

That is a bit expensive. If it is some special fancy one, then that is about right. I figure that is about what my neighbor ended up paying when his wife got locked out and the toddler was inside after I got the door open, still cheaper than a new $200 door.
I doubt if you can do any home repair that will last if that is a broken handle. It likely is cast and will just break again. If you want to try, stop at the auto parts store and get some JBWeld.
Good luck.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit

Most handles are in the $15 range. Maybe you need a new store? Yes, holes can be drilled as long as the existing holes are going to be covered by the new handle.

it's brass or something, i thought about that (jbweld) i figured out what was wrong with it last night, there's a spring missing, and the washer that holds the square post for the handle is broken. i also thought about just drilling new holes and putting a different handle on, but this is so weird, the handle on the outside is about a foot long so i wouldn't be able to cover all the holes with any of the handles i've looked at :( and to answer Big Jake above, it was home depot that had it for $50. and my door there to replace it would be over $300 dollars, (darn door came with the house) lol i don't know...i'll take it to this little hardware store up the road, they're always real nice (little store, family owned and operated) i'll let you all know if i fix it, or decide to take the whole door off just because. :)
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:00:18 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Why digital?

So there's no need to blow a roll of film for just 2-3 pictures? Don't ask the next question unless it doesn't involve film