Storm door handle broken

ok, my storm door handle is broken, and i would like to fix it myself. how would i do that?

Reply to
asams001

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, True Value, etc. Buy a phillips screwdriver and a handle that matches your old one, both in color and style. Can't help you much more than that.

Jk

Reply to
Big_Jake

My book shelf is broken and I would like to fix that. How would I do that?

Reply to
mm

Open yellow pages (that's a phone book).

Look up "Hardware"

Visit hardware store. Bring as much of the mechanism with you as you can. Maybe take a digital picture of the handle area of the door to show the people.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

i've already taken it apart, and to a hardware store. it's going to cost $50 to replace it. i was hoping i could just fix it myself, the mechanism in it is bad or something, the guy wasn't very helpful at the store, and nobody else was around. :) i've looked at other handles too but they won't work with the holes already in the door. i guess if i could would it be wise to drill new holes? and if i did how would i cover up the old holes?

Reply to
asams001

Why digital?

Reply to
mm

Wow, and I thought Home Depot was expensive. $50 for a storm door handle! Geez. You can get a whole storm door at my local Home Depot for $88

Seriously though. Sounds like you might not have the garden variety storm door or handle. Try to find a name somewhere of a manufacturer of the door. Then you might be able to do a Google search for hardware that matches your door better.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

So there's no need to blow a roll of film for just 2-3 pictures? Don't ask the next question unless it doesn't involve film

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That is a bit expensive. If it is some special fancy one, then that is about right. I figure that is about what my neighbor ended up paying when his wife got locked out and the toddler was inside after I got the door open, still cheaper than a new $200 door.

I doubt if you can do any home repair that will last if that is a broken handle. It likely is cast and will just break again. If you want to try, stop at the auto parts store and get some JBWeld.

Good luck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Most handles are in the $15 range. Maybe you need a new store? Yes, holes can be drilled as long as the existing holes are going to be covered by the new handle.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

it's brass or something, i thought about that (jbweld) i figured out what was wrong with it last night, there's a spring missing, and the washer that holds the square post for the handle is broken. i also thought about just drilling new holes and putting a different handle on, but this is so weird, the handle on the outside is about a foot long so i wouldn't be able to cover all the holes with any of the handles i've looked at :( and to answer Big Jake above, it was home depot that had it for $50. and my door there to replace it would be over $300 dollars, (darn door came with the house) lol i don't know...i'll take it to this little hardware store up the road, they're always real nice (little store, family owned and operated) i'll let you all know if i fix it, or decide to take the whole door off just because. :)

Reply to
asams001