Storm Door Damage

My sister's storm door (i.e. glass in place, not screen) was ripped off by a recent wind storm. The damage included ripping a chunk of wood out of the door frame where the screws of the hinges were. She is looking into replacing the door, but is concerned about how to fill in the wood that was ripped out.

Is there such a thing as "wood putty" that could be trowelled into place so that new screws could be used? Shy of that, any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to
Rileyesi

appreciated.

wood putty won't be strong enough nor bond with the existing wood enough to hold. you'll have to replace at least part of, if not the entire piece, of wood.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Reply to
tony

You can use the epoxy Bondo stuff used for auto body filler/repair, but that would not be something to expect screws to hold. You could relocate the hinges or use longer screws. You could use another type of storm door where the hinge screw holes are located elsewhere. Another option is to replace the door frame if there is extensive damage.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you have the tools and skills, a wood patch would be the best bet. It can be done with a sharp chisel and back saw or a router with straight bit and collar.

Failing that, Minwax makes an epoxy wood filler that takes screws well. You can get it at home centers. It's in a yellow and red can with a plastic cover that you use for mixing it. You will need to do the filling in several layers with drying time in between, the stuff sags on vertical surfaces.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

I think your sister must live in the same house I once lived in. Replace the board that got ripped. Put a wind break outside the door.

4x4 posts with wood lattice worked for us, after ripping off 3 or 4 doors.
Reply to
NorMinn