Storing tools in oil?

My grandpa passed away years ago, and he always kept his exacto knifes and some other small tools inside this jar filled with red oil. It was ditched after he died but i remember the tools being years old and not one spot of rust formed on them. Does anybody know what this red oil could have been? D on't remember smell or viscosity of it.
On Saturday, July 16, 2016 at 5:14:29 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

d after he died but i remember the tools being years old and not one spot o f rust formed on them. Does anybody know what this red oil could have been? Don't remember smell or viscosity of it.
Kerosine (sp?)
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 21:35:05 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Sorry, I've not seen "red" kerosene. Used to cost 10 cents a gallon and glass jugs were okay for transport. Clear color.
On 7/17/2016 1:19 PM, Oren wrote:

In NYS, they dye kerosene red. Makes it easier for DOT guys to check the fuel in tanks of long haul trucks. Red kero makes the fuel a different color. So the DOT can fine all the money out of the drivers for not paying thier extortion money to the DOT.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 7/18/2016 8:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've been to enough fuel stations, and burned enough kerosene. I know what I wrote, and the kerosene is dyed red.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Diesel is cheaper than kerosene anywhere I have ever seen it. Why would they burn kerosene?

In cold weather, diesel turns to gel. Kerosene has a MUCH lower gel temperature. Helps keep the cold weather trucks on the road.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 07/18/2016 09:41 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Actually that would be #1 diesel but that's hard to find if you're not in really cold areas. Most stations switch to 'winter blend'.
On 7/18/2016 8:30 PM, rbowman wrote:

I've been talking about kerosene. Please remember that. Kerosene, to tell you again. Dyed red in NYS. Kerosene.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

everywhere in the US has kero on the pump. Only in the hillbilly states where the redneck bungalows and converted chicken coops are heated by kerosene space heaters. It's been years sinse I've seen a kerosene pump at a service station. I know they do exist -but most Kerosene is purchaced in 1 or 5 gallon cans.most places I've been. A few places it's tapped out of a 45 gallon drum.
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 22:05:34 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I haven't bought any for over 25 years so I can't say what color it is now but it was clear them. I have a kerosene heater but it has not been used for the same length of time. I just have it around in case we have a total power failure in the winter but I imagine I would be running diesel or mineral spirits in it because I don't have any K1 and not a clue who does if it isn't a 1 gallon can at Ace Hardware. I know there is still a bulk plant downtown with a K1 pump but I doubt I would be willing to drive down there. I think I would just get in bed with my wife and wait it out ;-)

Diesel has a bit of a bad smell for indoor heaters, I've been told. Mineral spirits was used for wick lamps, where it provides a very bright light. However, some wick lamps overheat and go supernova or cause a fire when used with mineral spirits.
Sounds like now is the time to research kerosene, and buy some. I've seen clear kero at Walmart, it's a seasonal item of course.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Who, or what, are you replying to? There is no previous post.
On 7/19/2016 8:55 AM, Gordon Shumway wrote:

the question which I answered. And the quoted question came through here, just fine.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

There is nothing wrong with my newsreader settings. I saw the text you were replying to (only because it was in your post), but there was no post "Red kerosene fuel. for portable heater" for you to reply to.
The problem is you insist on renaming posts to a subject that previously did not exist, but your new post still includes the prefix "Re: " If you insist on changing the subject that suits you; therefore making it a new subject with no previous posts, at least have the decency to remove the "Re: " as the subject prefix.

Then why do I gotta hit my "wrap" function fer yer unwrapped lines?
nb

This is just a guess, but maybe there's something wrong with your newsreader settings.
Is 123 characters long. You should be wrapping text/line breaking at 72 or so. Your client isn't.